Automation on drum parts [SOLVED]

amiracam

hi again,

suppose that I have a multi out drum part i.e. all the notes are obviously on a drum track but I have multi outs on the mixer, the scenario might be that I want to ride the hi hat volume , but my question is not how to do that from a control surface and make Logic take the vol but rather how do that from a Logic IDE perspective i.e. I don't have an automation lane that I could draw in the vol curve since all I have is one global drum track with all the midi notes. I certainly don't want to split the drum kit parts to different tracks, and individually modifying the velocity curve on the notes is less than ideal

Ideally there should be someway of emulating riding the vol fader on the hi hat

thanks

If you have the drum parts in a multi-output configuration, then the hihat has it's own aux channel which you can automate and ride the fader of the same as any other channel.

thanks, I eventually will setup a control surface so that I can do that more comfortably which I in general prefer to drawing in automation, I tried to hook up my Steinberg CC121 but Logic did not immediately pick it up. I may get an iPad (yes , unbelievably I don't have one) and use the new Apple Remote or one of the apps out there, so that I can do at least two channels , the CC121 only supports one channel at a time

If you have the drum parts in a multi-output configuration, then the hihat has it's own aux channel which you can automate and ride the fader of the same as any other channel.

thanks, I eventually will setup a control surface so that I can do that more comfortably which I in general prefer to drawing in automation, I tried to hook up my Steinberg CC121 but Logic did not immediately pick it up. I may get an iPad (yes , unbelievably I don't have one) and use the new Apple Remote or one of the apps out there, so that I can do at least two channels , the CC121 only supports one channel at a time

Sure, but this isn't about control surfaces per se. You wanted to automate a channel. Anything in Logic that is "automatable", including mixer channels, plugin settings and so on, can be performed directly (in eg touch mode), done by a control surface, or drawn in automation lanes in the arrange page - as Eric mentioned, in this case you have a channel you want to automate - you just didn't know how to access an automation lane for it.

Now you do! :)

(There are other ways too..)