Is there a way to measure Marquee selection in samples?

delusion

I'm phase aligning a multi mic setup and want to use the sample delay plug. I've selected the time difference between the transients with the marquee tool. Is there a way to tell exactly how many samples I have selected ala Pro Tools?

It's probably easy, but it's eluded me so far.

Yes, but it depends on which Logic version you're using. Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.2)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.8.4)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

I can't seem to change the read out to anything but beginning to end of selection in location bars and beats..(ex; 21 111 to 24 1211). I would love (ALA PT) to see the selection in TIME... Drag and see that the selection is 01:00:30:14 or such... any help? Is there a preference? (I'm also on LP9 being both a chicken and a working professional with deadlines)

DanRAd

Thanks for the response... sorry to be so dim, but where would I find "ruler unit" (I'm on LP9). Also, any time I select something with the Marque, if I click, the selection goes away and waits for another area to be selected. I've tried various modifiers (control, option etc) and get results other than a tag telling me how long the selection is.

Thanks

dan

I wish logic had an easy way to display length in seconds without having to switch that to the primary ruler. Also, it looks like timings are shown in seconds and frames, is there a way to switch logic's ruler to seconds/milliseconds? Either I'm missing something, or this part of the app is way out of date compared with protools.

Thanks David. I did that, but for whatever reason the info that the marquee selection gives me when I click and hold on it is not accurate and more importantly doesn't change values when I move the marquee selection or adjust the selection length. This behavior is the same whether bars or time are selected with the little note icon. Any ideas on what's going on?

Also, I'm looking for measurements in samples, but it looks like it would give me min/sec/frames even if it did work. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for your time!

Thanks David. I did that, but for whatever reason the info that the marquee selection gives me when I click and hold on it is not accurate and more importantly doesn't change values when I move the marquee selection or adjust the selection length. This behavior is the same whether bars or time are selected with the little note icon. Any ideas on what's going on?

I don't know what the problem is. It works reliably here: when I adjust my marquee selection, or make another marquee selection, the marquee stripe updates, and when I click it I get an accurate reading of its length every time.

I'm looking for measurements in samples, but it looks like it would give me min/sec/frames even if it did work.

See my previous answer.

Yeah, it's weird. It behaves the same way on a laptop too. As a work around, I found that I can do something similar with the cycle locators and then just do the math based on what's displayed in the transport bar when set to samples. Not as fast, but it works. Thanks again for your help.

I'm going to submit feedback to apple suggesting the option to have that marquee display window show the start points and durations in both bars and time.

In Logic 9 (you have Logic 9 listed in your signature), that's what it's already doing. See my screenshot.

Thanks David, works as described in LP9... This will be very handy in voice over sessions.

You're welcome Dan! :D

Hey delusion, can you take a screenshot of an example of when you're click-holding the Marquee stripe and getting the wrong reading?

Ok, I tried a different session and the left mark now updates it's info correctly on this one, but moving or expanding the right mark doesn't update and the length remains at all zeros unless I'm missing something. Below are 2 screenshots. The playhead was in the exact same spot in both shots for reference.

1.png.6c2bc964890151c96693aaaa43be3ff1.png

2.png.bcd3d8433de728f1c9d65e2f7252960c.png

I checked and you're right, it doesn't give you a reading when the marquee selection is too small. :(

OK cool, it's nice to at least confirm that my system is normal. Does Logic 10 have the exact same behavior with small selections?

At any rate the cycle locator work around gets the job done just fine.

• 2 months later...
Just adding to this thread - I know we've been talking about Logic 9, but I'd love to know if there is a similar way in Logic X to show both the length of a marquee (or any) selection in time, as well as in beats/bars - same as in Logic 9.x. So far, the only way I can use the click-and-hold method to check length (in time as opposed to bars) in Logic X is to turn off "Use Musical Grid" in Song Settings. Is there an easier way to see both time and bar units? A view setting I'm missing perhaps (like in Logic 9?) Thanks!

Just adding to this thread - I know we've been talking about Logic 9, but I'd love to know if there is a similar way in Logic X to show both the length of a marquee (or any) selection in time, as well as in beats/bars - same as in Logic 9.x. So far, the only way I can use the click-and-hold method to check length (in time as opposed to bars) in Logic X is to turn off "Use Musical Grid" in Song Settings. Is there an easier way to see both time and bar units? A view setting I'm missing perhaps (like in Logic 9?) Thanks!

You can view both time and bars rulers simltaneously if you check the Secondary Ruler option in the tracks area's View menu. However, the help tag will only show you length either in time or bars (depending on the primary ruler), but not both.

J.

You can view both time and bars rulers simltaneously if you check the Secondary Ruler option in the tracks area's View menu. However, the help tag will only show you length either in time or bars (depending on the primary ruler), but not both.

J.

Thanks so much for the reply. That's what I thought. I have both rulers on all the time by default, but I will miss that easy functionality from 9.1.x to get both measurements when scoring. I'll send Apple some feedback about that.

In the View menu of the Event List, there's an option(that you can assign to a KC) that says "Show event position and length as time". As long as the Event List is open and has focus, you can switch between time and bar-beat without going to Prefs and showing second ruler...

Blink

Great tip! Thanks so much.

• 8 years later...

So, 9 years later, and running Logic Pro X 10.4.4 I have this same question... I know how to get samples to show up on the display, but what I would like is to be able to make a marquee selection and as I'm dragging I want it to show me the selection length in samples, not miliseconds. Is this possible?

1 hour ago, juxtaboy said:

So, 9 years later, and running Logic Pro X 10.4.4 I have this same question... I know how to get samples to show up on the display, but what I would like is to be able to make a marquee selection and as I'm dragging I want it to show me the selection length in samples, not miliseconds. Is this possible?

If you're selected to display time as something with samples in your Display preferences then you should see the length in samples (81 samples in the screenshot below) in the help tag when making a marquee selection:

image.png

• Like 1