Logic Pro X Catch Mode turns itself off

cavmusic

Hi Mike,

It won't stay on... when doing what exactly?

If it just goes off on its own while you're not touching mouse or keyboard and just watching your screen then no, that's not the expected behavior.

On the other hand if you scroll horizontally, or zoom in with by Control-Option-dragging then the catch mode will automatically go off, which is the expected behavior: usually when scrolling horizontally you don't want Logic to automatically scroll back to where the playhead is the instant you release your mouse.

Hope that helps?

I've had it turn off here many times. The behavior I noticed is in the score & event editors. Once the view of whatever you're looking at changes for the first time -- because the event editor reaches the bottom of the list, or, the score editor in Linear View gets to the last visible note -- Catch turns itself off.

I don't think the behavior is 100% predictable tho. I say that because sometimes I don't notice anything's wrong. But since I have things set up so that I only turn Catch on manually, when a page doesn't wrap I notice it right away.

Hi David

So here's what I've noticed so far. It's when I'm in the main window that the catch playhead it turns off once the play head gets all the way to the right of the timeline. It seems to reset the measures one time on the timeline and then turn off. But even when it does that kind of quickly pushes them to the left in kind of a jerky way. It does not look like it did in logic 9. I've also noticed that if I'm in the piano roll, catch play head works just fine. Resets the measures every time smoothly - Like in Logic 9

Does this shine any light on the issue?

thanks!

mike

• 2 months later...
Hi

I unchecked and rechecked "catch when moving playhead". Also, I unchecked (and left unchecked) "Catch when Logic starts". Seems to be working fine now.

Thanks, Mike! I was having the same problem, even when I was tracking. It wouldn't stay in Catch mode!

Seems that unchecking "catch when Logic starts" fixed it.

• 11 months later...
Hi

I unchecked and rechecked "catch when moving playhead". Also, I unchecked (and left unchecked) "Catch when Logic starts". Seems to be working fine now.

Where do you uncheck and recheck "catch when moving playhead"? I searched but couldn't find it.

I just started having this problem too.

Hi

Where do you uncheck and recheck "catch when moving playhead"? I searched but couldn't find it.

I just started having this problem too.

Preferences > General > Catch.

J.

• 7 months later...

FWIW I had the same problem with Logic Pro X 10.1.1 today (first time).

I was working in the Score Editor. I had multiple MIDI regions in the Main screen, and I was moving them around to check orderings of the regions. (I even added an empty track below to drag a region down and out of the way.)

I was also deleting notes and doing 'Copy MIDI Events' types of edits.

At some point in all these edits, the Catch Playhead icon started turning itself off, consistently.

I followed the post above about unchecking and rechecking the various Catch flags. This did NOT help.

I saved the project, closed the project, re-opened the project and all was well again.

In other words, it's a bug. It's a flag somewhere in the playback machinery, and once it gets mis-set, who knows how you could reset it without closing the project?

Seriously, there have been posts on this for years it seems. I am about to give up on Logic altogether as the frustration in each session destroys creativity and productivity.

Is there really no solution for this bug?

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Thanks.  Lucky for you, then.  Most of the posts about it here and elsewhere are re: users having trouble.  I tried all the fixes listed here and it worked for a few minutes then out again.  My mouse and everything else is hardwired due to EMF/wifi injury.  I could unplug and plug the mouse back in, and see.  I don't have a track pad.  I have a 2012 Mac 12 core, biggest, latest of that year, I even forget now without looking.  Thanks.

I could unplug and plug the mouse back in, and see. 

Yes, that was my suggestion. 

And BTW when I said "I've never had that problem" it's to add more facts to the thread in order to help troubleshoot. If everyone has this problem then it's clearly an issue with Logic. But the fact that I've never had this problem may indicate that the problem comes from somewhere else. Or it could be that we're working differently in Logic etc... many different reasons. I'm not negating the fact that you and many others have the problem, obviously. I'm here to help you and others troubleshoot your issues, nothing else. Just wanted to make that clear. 

• 4 weeks later...
I'm having a similar problem.  In my case I have "catch" turned on.  I'm looking at the piano roll.  When I select a different track, LPX stops chasing the play head, even thought "catch" is STILL ON.  I have to turn it off and back on again to continue chasing.  As soon as I select another track, it's stops chasing again.  Very annoying.

I got this information from Apple:  "When you work in Catch mode, the visible section of a window follows the playhead during playback or recording. Scrolling away from the playhead requires catch to be disabled. Catch turning off when interacting with the editors during playback is expected behavior."

It may be "expected behavior" but it doesn't work for me in my work flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a screen capture of the behavior I'm seeing.  I "might" understand it if something I'm doing is causing chase to be turned off, EXCEPT that it isn't being turned off -- it just stops.  If you notice in this video, that when I change tracks, chase stops chasing EVEN THOUGH it is still ENABLED!  To continue chasing, I have to turn it OFF then back ON again.  Is there a known workaround for this?

• 9 months later...
I got this information from Apple:  "When you work in Catch mode, the visible section of a window follows the playhead during playback or recording. Scrolling away from the playhead requires catch to be disabled. Catch turning off when interacting with the editors during playback is expected behavior."

It may be "expected behavior" but it doesn't work for me in my work flow.

I zoom in or out, just slightly even, and it turns off by itself.

I might be missing something, but why is this 'required'? It's called catch, it should just catch the playhead no matter what, untill I turn it off IMO.

Work flow killer indeed.