Forgive me if this is not the appropriate place to be asking about this.
- I have a RAID enclosure. It’s the Glotrends 25-R 2.5” Dual Bay SATA enclosure (DON’T buy it. It’s not a great product and there appears to be no customer support for it any longer).
Inside it I have two 2TB SATA drives.
I’m using it in RAID 1 mode and the company describe it as a "hardware RAID solution” which I think means that you don’t have to do any work inside your computer to set up the RAID functionality. It’s all done inside the product itself.
I have already followed the setup instructions but that was a few months ago so I can’t remember exactly what they were. But I think it was something as simple as opening Disk Utility and formatting the drive.
I have a couple of questions.
The first few questions are about understanding how RAID is represented in Disk Utility.
1. I have two 2TB drives in the RAID enclosure. When I view it in Disk Utility, Disk Utility only sees one 2TB drive (see attached image). Why is this? Is it because the RAID enclosure presents the two drives as one?
2. If this is correct, isn't the device then fully ready for RAID 1 use without needing to partition it?
3. The reason I ask that last question is that the setup instructions said that you must partition the device. If this particular RAID enclosure presents the two drives as one, is it actually necessary for me to partition the device in order to use it in RAID 1 mode? If I partition the drive, I end up with two 1TB drives in Disk Utility (as if there is only one 2TB drive in the enclosure) and this seems pointless to me.
The next questions are specific to this product and should really be answered by customer service but like I said, there’s no hope of that now.
4. I’ve set the product to RAID 1 mode using the switch that is on the outside of the enclosure but how do I know for sure that this device is actually operating RAID 1 successfully? Disk Utility doesn’t show the two drives in the device. It just shows one so how do I know that this product is definitely doing what it’s supposed to?
5. Also, how am I supposed to know if one of the drives fails and needs to be replaced? I assumed that with RAID there would be some interface that allows you to view both drives inside the enclosure and view the status/condition of each drive so that you would know when one needs to be replaced. But there doesn’t seem to be a way to see this. Disk Utility only sees one 2TB drive and the product didn’t come with any software that allows you to view the contents of the enclosure.