A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

User avatar
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: To Mac Pro or not to Mac Pro?

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:57 pm

OK FOLKS, my FOLLOW-UP. I can NOW finally say I am satisfied with my decision (thanks for your assistance Ploki). I finally running EVERYTHING I used to run on my MacPro, and can play back MOST of my songs I tested without any changes to plugins. To get there took about 4 VERY FULL days work (including nightshifts). The DRAWBACK? I had to pay a LOT of extra bucks to update nearly ALL software to the newest versions. The entire investment (Hardware plus software), and 2 new 4k Monitors, came to about the same I would have paid for the BASE MODEL 2019 MAC PRO.
Mac Pro 3,1 (8-Core, 32GB RAM, 4TB, El Capitan), Mac Mini 2018 (6-Core, i7, 32GB RAM, 2 TB, Catalina), RME Fireface 800, Logic Pro X, Native Instruments KOMPLETE 12, Superior Drummer 3, Applied Acoustics GS-2, Genelec 8040, Yamaha MOX8 & MOX6, Truckloads of Classic Synths
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:00 am
Location: stuttgart, germany

Re: To Mac Pro or not to Mac Pro?

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:40 am

Hi there. :)

Coming from a trusty good old Mac Pro 3.1 I also went the Mini-route two months ago. This little baby gives me about 3 times the power than the old workhorse and I am really statisfied.
User avatar
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Hanoi

Re: To Mac Pro or not to Mac Pro?

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:33 pm

Hey all, just looking at this thread and happy what I see.
My MBP touchbar had a motherboard meltdown 2 days ago, and I lost a bunch of work because of the satanic soldered memory. Feeling A little burned by Apple actually.
But logic ties me to Apple.
So I think I’m going to go with a Mac mini too.
Can I ask you guys; what method have you gone for external fast storage? Have you got a hub with a bunch of ssd plugged in? Any cool recommendations that balance decent value and size? I’m going to go for the lowest amount of built in storage, and upgrade everything 3rd party. But get the highest processor.

Late 2016 MacBook Pro, 13 inch, 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7
MacOS 10.12.1
Logic Pro 10.2.4
Apogee Duet 2
Komplete Ultimate, Machine, Komplete Kontrol
Various Spitfire libraries
User avatar
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:11 am
Location: California

Re: To Mac Pro or not to Mac Pro?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:14 pm

If you get ten years out of a Mac Pro that’s 2000$ every three years or so, and in ten years you’ll have an old Mac Pro. Or you could get a new iMac every three years or so and stay current. In 7 years, it’s possible that a new iMac will beat the current Mac Pro spec wise. So you might be better off going incremental.

Not saying thats the case but something to consider/research before making a decision.
LPX 10.4.5; OS 10.14.5; iMac I5/2.9GHz, 16 GB RAM; SSD; Saffire Pro24: Scarlett 2i2; AxiomPro61
Misc: iControl; Denon MC600