A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

ChromeCrescendo
Topic Author

If the mix engineer wants the tracks dry...

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:15 pm

I am currently working with a vocalist on producing an EP

I would say we will be finished with it in about 3-4 months

In anticipation of finishing the EP, I have begun researching mix engineers as I know my limitations and do not want to mix

Thus far, all of the mix engineers I have communicated with have told me they want all the tracks in each project "dry"

That being said, I am beginning to wonder why, other than for my own enjoyment, I spend so much time finding the right reverbs, delays, modulations, etc., then automating them, when producing a song if the mix engineer ultimately wants everything dry so they can apply their own effects and automation to the song

It seems all the money I have spent on effects plug-ins is meaningless unless I am going to mix the songs myself

Am I thinking of this in the wrong way?

Thank you
• Logic Pro X 10.5.1
• OS X Catalina 10.15.6
• Mac Pro 2019
• 3.3 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon W
• 96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
• Apogee Element 24

Atlas007

Re: If the mix engineer wants the tracks dry...

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:16 pm

I hope those engineers also wants your wet version, so they could hear and figure out what you would like to have as a final product. And using the dry version to craft a better version than your original mix...
LogicPro 10.6.1 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.5.1
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

fisherking

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:23 am

pro mixers need dry tracks. if they want to, for example, tweak the eq on a vocal, they shouldn't be tweaking the reverb eq at the same time. and so on.

you could give them a reference mix, as atlas007 suggests, to show what you want in terms of delays, etc. or just a copy of each track that you have a preferred effect on... to show what you wanted there. (so, 2 tracks, ie LEAD VOCAL, then LEAD VOCAL (FX); something like that.

but, for someone to mix, dry is the thing, so they can eq/compress/de-ess/whatever; can't do that efficiently if there's delay on the track.
LP10.6.1 • os11.3b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com

Ploki

Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:54 am

I always want dry tracks.

Plugins may be great, but your monitoring probably isn't, and usually when i get wet projects and client come into the studio their jaws drop at how different it sounds in reality than on their (usually flawed) system, even compared to references they supposedly followed.

Also there are a lot of tricks i pull off on reverbs/delays to make space for the main vocal track. When you slam that into -9LUFS, all the peaks are squashed and all the wet crud sounds louder than it's supposed to be. I often sidechain reverb sends or do some weird m/s compression things on them, EQ them separately, and always use a differently processed track to send to reverbs than i use as a main track.

I don't need wet tracks because they don't really do much for me, but i do always like a demo with the tracks of how producer envisioned it, and ask if there are specific wishes to delay time or do i have a certain degree of freedom.
I ask for preset settings if we share some plugins, or just ask them to send projects if they work in Logic.
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck

ChromeCrescendo
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:16 am

Ploki wrote:
I always want dry tracks.

Plugins may be great, but your monitoring probably isn't, and usually when i get wet projects and client come into the studio their jaws drop at how different it sounds in reality than on their (usually flawed) system, even compared to references they supposedly followed.

Also there are a lot of tricks i pull off on reverbs/delays to make space for the main vocal track. When you slam that into -9LUFS, all the peaks are squashed and all the wet crud sounds louder than it's supposed to be. I often sidechain reverb sends or do some weird m/s compression things on them, EQ them separately, and always use a differently processed track to send to reverbs than i use as a main track.

I don't need wet tracks because they don't really do much for me, but i do always like a demo with the tracks of how producer envisioned it, and ask if there are specific wishes to delay time or do i have a certain degree of freedom.
I ask for preset settings if we share some plugins, or just ask them to send projects if they work in Logic.

Thank soft the tips - do you have a website or link to a portfolio of your mixing work?
• Logic Pro X 10.5.1
• OS X Catalina 10.15.6
• Mac Pro 2019
• 96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
• Apogee Element 24

Ploki

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 am

no, cause i'm really bad at promoting myself :(
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck

fisherking

Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:22 pm

if you're going to mix this yourself, leave headroom... and get the mixes mastered by a pro. if you're looking for a mix engineer... worth talking to people here, or check out: https://soundbetter.com, a great resource.
LP10.6.1 • os11.3b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com

ChromeCrescendo
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:54 pm

fisherking wrote:
if you're going to mix this yourself, leave headroom... and get the mixes mastered by a pro. if you're looking for a mix engineer... worth talking to people here, or check out: https://soundbetter.com, a great resource.

Thanks been chatting with @ploki

Now, a question about headroom - I am probably misunderstanding something David has stated (or I think he has stated) on the boards here but, he said with digital recording in the box, there is no need for "gain staging"
• Logic Pro X 10.5.1
• OS X Catalina 10.15.6
• Mac Pro 2019
• 96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
• Apogee Element 24

Atlas007

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:43 pm

AFAIK, even if they could relate, gain staging and headroom are different concepts.

Gain staging is critical in analog realm, in order (mainly) to achieve the highest audio/noise ratio as possible, which noise pertain (solely/mainly) to an analog recording environment.
Headroom is the available space (dB) to increase level before clipping, which is crucial when comes the time to master and is most of the time a definite no-no in digital recording environment.
LogicPro 10.6.1 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.5.1
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

ChromeCrescendo
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:45 pm

Atlas007 wrote:
AFAIK, even if they could relate, gain staging and headroom are different concepts.

Gain staging is critical in analog realm, in order (mainly) to achieve the highest audio/noise ratio as possible, which noise pertain (solely/mainly) to an analog recording environment.
Headroom is the available space (dB) to increase level before clipping, which is crucial when comes the time to master and is most of the time a definite no-no in digital recording environment.

Ahhh ok thank you for clearing that up
• Logic Pro X 10.5.1
• OS X Catalina 10.15.6
• Mac Pro 2019
• 96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
• Apogee Element 24

Ploki

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:11 am

Headroom in digital =
- don't clip on the master bus when mixing
- don't clip on tracks when recording

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:06 am

ChromeCrescendo wrote:
Now, a question about headroom - I am probably misunderstanding something David has stated (or I think he has stated) on the boards here but, he said with digital recording in the box, there is no need for "gain staging"

No! That's definitely not something I said. :shock:

Gain staging means making sure your gain is reasonable at every stage. When recording in digital, that means make sure you don't clip the mic, the mic preamp, any other device in the analog realm before the converters, and to avoid clipping the converters, make sure the signal you're recording doesn't hit 0 dBFS.
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM