Recording in a loop

Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

How do you record in a loop?

Let's say you want to record the same vocal part five times. Instead of recording five separate tracks and then merging them together, can you do it all at once by looping the recording?

Like Bobby Huff does in this video:

What's the process for doing this in Logic?

Thanks!

Thanks, but the problem I'm having is that when I record in a loop, it creates several "takes", stacked on top of each other. But when I play it back, I only hear one of the takes.

Is there a way I can hear all of the takes at once?

This has been answered already:

See if this helps:

Preferences > Recording > Cycle on: Audio - Create Tracks and Mute.

Once you're done recording, select all the regions and unmute them by pressing Ctrl+M.

[attachment=0]Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 07.20.44.png[/attachment]

• Solution
Change your preferences so you create a take folder when cycle recording. When done recording, click the comp and select "Unpack to New Tracks". Done. The "Create Tracks and Mute" option does only create tracks assigned to the same channel strip, making it impossible to play all tracks simultaneously...

Yep: tried it. Didn't help.

Can you explain what didn't work? Because there is no other way.

Sorry triplets, you're right, I should have been more thorough with my response.

It didn't work because I could only hear one of the takes: it didn't play them all at once.

Thanks again for your help! It looks like JakobP may have come up with a solution.

Change your preferences so you create a take folder when cycle recording. When done recording, click the comp and select "Unpack to New Tracks". Done. The "Create Tracks and Mute" option does only create tracks assigned to the same channel strip, making it impossible to play all tracks simultaneously...

This appears to be as close to a solution as we're going to get: thank you JakobP!

It still involves creating multiple tracks -- as opposed to just one track, with all the takes combined -- but at least you don't have to create the multiple tracks beforehand, and do the whole process in several separate takes, which is something.

I do wonder why Logic Pro doesn't have a feature like the one Bobby Huff used in the video I posted: it looks to me like he just recorded in a loop and then had a track full of the combined takes when he stopped recording, which seems like a good feature to have.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone here who helped out with this question.