MIDI Recommendations for EDM producers?

Hello All!

i need an opinion!

i am going to buy a MIDI keyboard for my husband as a Birthday gift, i think i have narrowed down my choices.

My husband is a music producer that focuses on Electronic Music... which do you think is better for the type of genre he produces:

Novation Remote 25 SL Compact

Akai MPK49 Keyboard

ARTURIA KEYLAB 25 25-KEY MIDI

am i somewhat in the ball park?? i little help!!!

thanks in advance!

The Arturia isn't a standard MIDI controller, it's more of a synth+dedicated controller, the controller may not work as expected when used with other synths including Logic's synths.

On the other hand I I were your husband I'be super happy to receive an AKAI MPK49! ;)

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!

okay, i am sold!

hopefully he likes this MIDI keyboard... its the first he has ever had so i hope it is Beginner Friendly :)

thank you for the advice!

any words of wisdom i could possible share? :mrgreen:

I have the Arturia Key Lab 49 and all my sliders, encoders, and transport buttons work great with logic and its synths. They are fully programmable to any synth parameter. The only issue I had are with the drum pads sending polypressure data instead of notes (the pads only come with the 49 key and 61 key) Other than that the pads are very responsive and work great.

The MPK is nice too but I find the pads unresponsive and stiff.

So one word of wisdom: if you husband doesn't like the pads, he can look into Pad upgrades available on ebay and other website.

• 2 months later...
Hello, I've encountered an issue with my new Arturia 49 KeyLab. I installed the software, downloaded the update, entered the serial and unlock code and then followed instructions for the e-licenser software and then I receive an error code "serial is not unique". Because I can't get permission on my mac to use this, I can't use it in Logic Pro 9 or as a stand-alone keyboard. I have gone back and forth with Arturia customer support. I entered specific code, based on their suggestions, in Terminal in order for my Mac to recognize the e-licenser and none of this has worked. I keep getting the same error "serial is not unique". Has anyone experienced the same problems? If so, how did you fix it? I'm thinking of just returning this one. Can any one offer an alternative product?

The Arturia isn't a standard MIDI controller, it's more of a synth+dedicated controller, the controller may not work as expected when used with other synths including Logic's synths.

On the other hand I I were your husband I'be super happy to receive an AKAI MPK49! ;)

Hello, why would you recommend the Akai MPK49? I see that it came out in 2008. Hasn't a newer, more superior product been created?

Thx

Hello, I've encountered an issue with my new Arturia 49 KeyLab. I installed the software, downloaded the update, entered the serial and unlock code and then followed instructions for the e-licenser software and then I receive an error code "serial is not unique". Because I can't get permission on my mac to use this, I can't use it in Logic Pro 9 or as a stand-alone keyboard. I have gone back and forth with Arturia customer support. I entered specific code, based on their suggestions, in Terminal in order for my Mac to recognize the e-licenser and none of this has worked. I keep getting the same error "serial is not unique". Has anyone experienced the same problems? If so, how did you fix it? I'm thinking of just returning this one. Can any one offer an alternative product?

I personally never had this issue but I think I read something similar on the arturia forums if you haven't already tried: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?board=113.0