Drop in volume when using auto punch

Hi

Posted on this a while ago but got no replies. Was wondering if, since then, anyone else has come across this?

When dropping in using auto punch, the new recording is audibly quieter ( and the waveform visually smaller), making it impossible to comp. Nothing changed on instrument / desk / interface. Literally, original take records at at one volume, drop in, retake records at lower volume.

Anyone?

Doesn't make any sense.

Maybe it's you that is being more careful when punching in.

Try this:

Create 2 tracks and record 4 bars on the first one.

Now go at the input of the second track to bus 1 and then the output of track 1 to bus 1.

Record enable track 2 and press record. You will now have an identical copy of the audio on track 1 re-recorded on track 2.

Set auto punch to record from bar 2 to 3 and record on track 2 again.

Any difference now?

Punching in is just a recording technique, and when recording, Logic doesn't have any influence over your recording level. Your problem comes from somewhere else.

What affects the recording level:

- How loud you play your instrument.

- The volume knob on your electric instrument, if any.

- The distance between an acoustic source and the mic.

- The type of mic used.

- The type of preamp used.

- The position of the GAIN knob on the preamp.

What does NOT affect the recording level:

- Logic Pro, or any of its settings.

• 6 years later...
Hi I've been looking all over for an answer to the same issue. when recording vocals the signal chain is fine all the levels are correct and playback is fine until I try to punch in. I use location punch in/out as I'm singing. The prerecording vocal will come in extremely loud. I look at the replies on this thread and auto input monitoring is NOT checked and I'm using The UA console application where I've set up an aux sending to headphone cue.

• 5 months later...
It sounds like you are having the same issue I have. The boost in volume of the pre-roll record enabled track is coming from my sends on that track. In other words the jump in volume of the pre-roll is as if I turned my send levels way up which makes the pre-roll sound louder and like it's swimming in verb and delay. If I turn OFF the sends on the track I'm punching in on - everything works fine.....except that I am of course not hearing any efx such as verb or delay or whatever on my pre-roll track. When I'm just playing back and not punching in - everything is fine. I am using UA Apollo x8 as my interface. This post is not a solution. I am still trying to find out why the jump in efx sends only in record ready. I have tried every setting for the sends - pre fader, post fader etc. I have tried setting the volume fader in Logic to zero so that I'm not trying to monitor twice. Software monitoring is off and track input monitoring is on in Logic preferences (but I have tried un-checking that too).

Turning OFF the sends on my punch in track works for me but then I'm not hearing any efx on that track during pre roll. In my situation the volume boost of the pre recorded track in rec ready mode seems to be coming from send levels.....as if they jumped up to 100%. Don't have an answer to why this is happening. I'm using UA Apollo x8 as interface. I've tried changing settings in Logic preferences and also tried different settings on sends (pre fader, post fader).

• 3 months later...
Has anyone else come across this problem we have been talking about......I'm using Logic Pro X and UA Apollo x8 plus UA Octo Sattelite on a 2020 iMac running Catalina w 128 gig ram.....anyway when I record enable a track to punch in....if the punch in spot has previously recorded audio on the track with efx sends (mainly I just have a little reverb and delay on the sends)...... when I hear the pre-roll audio....the efx sends sound like I turned them up all the way making it impossible to punch in. The pre roll audio is swimming in efxs and much, much louder. This should not be happening! My solution so far is to disable efx sends on that track (while recording/punching in) and then everything is fine....... (except I would like to hear the verb and delay before the punch in point). As long as I'm not recording the sends are functioning normally. My previous setup was ProTools HD with three cards on an old G5 Motorola (state of the art in early 2000's). Never had anything like this happening.

• 6 months later...