Previewing .mid MIDI file with QuickLook not working

Before using MIDI in my compositions in LPX, I like to preview the midi to see if it is what I was looking for (they often have odd names, etc.) It used to be that Mac would allow a preview by selecting the midi file, and hitting the spacebar. If I remember correctly, it was only played with the piano sound, but it gave me a good idea of the beat/melody.

For a while, but only now enough to annoy me sufficiently to write a post, the quicklook has not worked. I click it, and it looks like it is "playing" the midi, but there is no sound. The QuickLook will still preview other sounds, but not MIDI files (.mid)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Evan

Lead.mid

Random .mid file

Sure - I am uploading one now.

I have to say that it is extremely unlikely that there is anything wrong with the midi files, I have a ton of them, from many different sources. If one set were corrupt, the others won't be. Here is a random midi. It doesn't work (nor do any of the others...)

Thanks!

Evan

I have had this same problem with QuickTime and quicklook for sometime now. I am using QuickTime 7 Pro and the files look like they are playing but there is no sound. This also has screwed up another DAW of mine that needs QUICKTIME instruments to play sound. I cannot find a fix anywhere and believe me I have searched.

[attachment=0]Lead.mid[/attachment]

Sure - I am uploading one now.

I have to say that it is extremely unlikely that there is anything wrong with the midi files

Thanks for uploading the file. Indeed, I agree that it's unlikely a problem with your MIDI files. In fact, I can preview this one in Quick Look just fine, so it's definitely a problem with Quick Look/Quicktime in your system (and by uncle808us's post, you're not alone).

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for this...if I find out anything I'll post back.

J.

OK, the plug-in responsible for giving Quick Look the ability to preview audio and MIDI files is Audio.qlgenerator, which can be found in Macintosh HD/System/Library/Quick Look.

The one I have is version 4.0. How about you guys?

Furthermore, here's something you guys can try:

If you do have a Quick Look plug-in that should be able to read your document type and you still can't create a preview of the document, or if the preview appears garbled, then it is likely that the plug-in is not loaded correctly or the Quick Look server cache is corrupted and needs to be rebuilt. First try running a permissions fix on the boot drive using Disk Utility to ensure that the Quick Look plug-ins and other files the Quick Look server needs are properly accessible, and then force Quick Look to reload the plug-ins and its cache by running the following commands in the Terminal:

qlmanage -r

qlmanage -r cache

After this is done, clear out the Quick Look configuration files by going to the /username/Library/Preferences folder (in Lion press the Option key and select "Library" from the Finder's Go menu), and then removing the files called "com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper.plist," "com.apple.quicklookconfig.plist," and "com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist." With these files removed and the Quick Look service reloaded, try previewing your documents again.

Source: Fixing Quick Look issues in OS X

J.

I did a search and could not find the Audio.qlgenerator any idea where I can find it?

It's a QuickLook plug-in, so it won't be in a Quicktime folder.

It should be in Macintosh HD/System/Library/QuickLook/

I can't get QuickTime to play midi files either so now I'm off to search for a midi file component for QT.

I think you should first give a shot to that procedure in the article I linked.

J.

I realize It's a QuickLook plug-in I included the QuickTime view to show I have no component for QuickTime for midi as well. Sorry for the confusion.

"I think you should definitely give a shot to that procedure in the article I linked." I did this and searched the listed urls for the plug in and did not find it. I am searching for : Audio.qlgenerator -- Support for audio files (MP3, M4A, WAVE, MIDI, and so on)

"I think you should definitely give a shot to that procedure in the article I linked." I did this and searched the listed urls for the plug in and did not find it.

You shouldn't have to look for any third party QuickLook plug-ins to be able to preview MIDI files with QuickLook.

Are you saying you don't have the Audio.qlgenerator plugin which is part of OSX (not third party)?

I included the QuickTime view to show I have no component for QuickTime for midi as well.

Do you mean that you cannot even play a MIDI file in Quicktime? Is that it?

J.

No I don't have the Audio.qlgenerator plugin which is part of OSX (not third party)? See list above.

I'm not seeing the complete path to that file so I can't tell what you're showing me unless I compare it with all QuicklLook folders in my system.

No midi playback in Quick view.

And I also cannot play a MIDI file in Quicktime 7 Pro.

You should be able to salvage all the files you need from the 10.8.5 Combo update using Pacifist:

80356927_ScreenShot2013-10-21at6_26_46PM.thumb.png.53c99c84b51c6a1fa90c61523ea667e2.png

Not sure how you ended up losing those system files...

J.

No I don't have the Audio.qlgenerator plugin which is part of OSX (not third party)? See list above.

You're looking in the wrong place. None of the files in your screenshot exist in Macintosh HD/System/Library/QuickLook.

I have that GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator in Macintosh HD/Library/QuickLook, so I believe that's where you're looking.

J.

You're looking in the wrong place. None of the files in your screenshot exist in Macintosh HD/System/Library/QuickLook.

Yes I do have it in the Macintosh HD/System/Library/QuickLook. I was looking in the wrong place so I have it but I still can't play midi files. So I will have to do something else to fix this. An I am really getting confused... :oops: Thanks for staying with me on this.

Yes I do have it in the Macintosh HD/System/Library/QuickLook. I was looking in the wrong place so I have it but I still can't play midi files. So I will have to do something else to fix this. An I am really getting confused... :oops: Thanks for staying with me on this.

Again, try this please:

If you do have a Quick Look plug-in that should be able to read your document type and you still can't create a preview of the document, or if the preview appears garbled, then it is likely that the plug-in is not loaded correctly or the Quick Look server cache is corrupted and needs to be rebuilt. First try running a permissions fix on the boot drive using Disk Utility to ensure that the Quick Look plug-ins and other files the Quick Look server needs are properly accessible, and then force Quick Look to reload the plug-ins and its cache by running the following commands in the Terminal:

qlmanage -r

qlmanage -r cache

After this is done, clear out the Quick Look configuration files by going to the /username/Library/Preferences folder (in Lion press the Option key and select "Library" from the Finder's Go menu), and then removing the files called "com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper.plist," "com.apple.quicklookconfig.plist," and "com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist." With these files removed and the Quick Look service reloaded, try previewing your documents again.

J.

I opened the Path( the right one this time) as in System HD Ouicktime and see no component that has midi mentioned.

[attachment=0]OT1.jpg[/attachment]

That doesn't mean there should be one. I have exactly what you have in that folder. I think the ability to play MIDI files is part of the app itself, not supplementary files.

J.