Need Headphones that are LOUD, driven by minimal power.

Hi,

I love my MOTU Ultralite bus powered FW interface, but the headphone output is lower in power than what I like. I LOVE my AKG K240 studio reference and K44tracking phones, but I always have to use a plugged in headphone amp. I would like to have a good option for when i am not around any electrical outputs.

Any suggestions for a good pair of phones that can easily be driven loud from a weak phones output?

I was hoping for under $100 for the reference phones and under $50 for the tracking phones.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff

• 3 years later...
my headphones will fit into the "PHONES" slot, but not connect, they just fit and easily slide out, which means they don't work. what kind of speakers/headphones do I need to hear the sound?

That is strange, because headphone plugs mainly come in two sizes, and the small one does not in any way fit the big hole, so it is unclear what you are talking about... maybe you can upload pictures? Of the plug, of the socket, and of the 'notfittingness". But I have never met a headphone socket that didn't accept standard 6.3 mm jack, or the smaller 3.5 mm or the even smaller 2.5 mm (rare). None of the smaller ones even remotely fit the bigger ones, their mismatch is very evident.

If the socket has the right dimensions but the plug doesn't 'click' into place, then the socket may be broken internally. You need (someone with) soldering skills to repair (replace) just that socket.