Help for overheating MBP

I have an early-2011 Macbook Pro (with the basic 4G RAM & original 5400 rpm drive) that is prone to overheating, mostly when I am running Logic 9. The fans kick in like a jet engine, obviously not appropriate for recording or mixing. I've read that this is a known issue with this particular model, and various solutions have been suggested on various websites, including here. Logic also sometimes stalls when rewinding/playing.

I want to keep my machine healthy & running at optimum, & am wondering which upgrades should be the priority for helping keep it cooler:

1. More RAM

2. 7200 rpm system drive (though I usually record to an external Glyph 7200 rpm)

3. Some kind of fanless/silent cooling pad

4. Would using an external display monitor help or make it worse? Any suggestions as to which ones work well (22-24")?

5. Something else?

Thanks, Ploki.

2. SSD's aren't so cost-effective yet. Wouldn't a 7200 rpm internal not have to work as hard as a 5400?

5. Can you please suggest some ways to "keep your system as clean as possible, background processes, etc."? Which processes, specifically, & how to turn them off?

Hot CPU? Three Ways to Keep Your Cool

In addition to the link above there is more info about this subject. Click the link below and check out some of the other threads.

http://www.google.com/#q=keeping+your+macbook+pro+cool

Also, make sure the vents in your laptop are dust free. Dust clogged vents and fans will make your cooling system much less efficient.

If all else fails. You can always try this.

506273837_macice.png.1fdbb33cdd7a835c2397feb24fca09dd.png

:mrgreen: