Beware of Seagate Hard Drives

In the last 3 weeks I've had two Seagate hard drives die on me. One was still under warranty (2 year warranty) but because it was a Time Machine back-up of my most personal files I did not exercise my right to exchange it for a refurbished drive (not new, they do not give you a new drive) as their warranty permits.

The second one died at least ten days ago or more and I just didn't have the time until today to troubleshoot the problem in my system and found that it is in fact also dead. Warranty expired 10 days ago. This drive simply had my system and Logic 9 installed. If only I would have had the time to react quicker to the issue I would possibly have received a "refurbished" drive to replace the defective drive. Real comfort to know that you receive a "refurbished" drive to replace your defective drive under warranty instead of a new hard drive.

Bottom line, I will not buy Seagate products anymore. Hitachi, Toshiba and other brands are much more dependable in my experience.

Avoid Seagate if you can even if you have to pay a little more for a more dependable hard drive.

When companies stop having their products made in China (listen up Apple) maybe we'll see some improvement in the quality of the products that we spend our hard earned money on.

I tend to believe that any brand will fail eventually, and so they are all more or less equal however, I've also had really bad experiences with Seagate drives. The logical side of me says its probably superstitious, but I just don't buy Seagate anymore and I'm happy with that.

I've had 4 or 5 Western Digital drives in the house and I much prefer them. One has died so far, but it was after a reasonable lifespan and their warranty replacement process was pretty painless. The replacement is still going strong.

I tend to believe that any brand will fail eventually

This is no doubt true but out of 8 Seagate drives I've had a 25% failure rate in less than two years use of those drives. I have, however, had Hitachi drives still lasting longer than 5-6 years with no problems.

The logical side of me says its probably superstitious, but I just don't buy Seagate anymore and I'm happy with that.

:lol: That's funny because superstition has nothing to do with logic, in fact, it's the opposite of logic. I think you're just being logical to stay away from a failed product.

I've had 4 or 5 Western Digital drives in the house and I much prefer them. One has died so far, but it was after a reasonable lifespan and their warranty replacement process was pretty painless. The replacement is still going strong.

I'll take a look at Western Digital next time I purchase a hard drive.

Thanks for your reply steveo12ax7.

That's odd. I have 3 Seagate drives and my parents have about 2-3 themselves and we have NEVER had an issue...hell, maybe we're just lucky...

Either you're lucky or I'm just unlucky. I forgot that I've actually had 3 Seagate drives fail on me prematurely. One was in a Glyph hard drive (Glyphs contain Seagate drives) and when I replaced it with a new Seagate it also died prematurely. Oh yeah, actually I had two Glyphs go belly up, the first one was under warranty and Glyph very quickly and efficiently replaced the drive which was cool but now that brings the count to 4 Seagate drives that died within 1-2 years of use and that, to me, is completely unacceptable.

I wish companies (including Apple) would stop having their products manufactured in China.

These things are very personal and depending on heavily on user experiences.

Only hdd which has failed me in 10 years is my Time Machine backup hdd, which was Seagate. I used be Seagate fan, because i remember they offered sometime 5 years warranty. There's now two Samsung HDD's on my Mac Pro, never thought i buy them, but they've been solid. I bought one HDD for extra backup and enclosure for it, and now my Mac dosen't anymore see it. Don't know what happened, is it broken or something, i maybe have turned it on twice. This is also Seagate HDD.

But you can't really say which brand to avoid, since most likely 90% of the HDD's are manufactured in same factory :D