Small PA for acoustic sets

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a small PA for gigs in small to medium pubs.

Two acoustic guitars, a vocal and a laptop for Ableton and samples.

I have got a little Mackie 1202 VLZ3 mixer which I can use.

I have been studio based for 15 years and have absolutely no idea.

Any help, brand names, prices, output size or anything would be marvellous.

Thank you in advance.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would recommend against the small "PA package" systems, and instead suggest a Class D powered speaker or two combined with your passive mixer.

I use and really like the QSC K series. I've gotten away with a single K8 for small acoustic sets, and otherwise use two K10s and either a QSC KW181 or York LS200P subwoofer for larger one- and two-man band shows with backing tracks.

The 2xK10 + KW181 setup was even enough for a 200-person indoor event with a full band including drums - though it was a quietish Beatles tribute, not a huge metal show with 100-watt backline.

Electro-Voice also has the ELX112P, and there are several other manufacturers who make a comparable active speaker at a similar price. In my experience, I've found that even small kit of 'high-end amateur/low-end pro' quality like the K-series or ELX usually outperform something like a Fender Passport (including the biggest ones) in terms of clarity and loudness.

I hope that helps -

Matt