Trying to recreate that 'motown sound' - drums

As a lover of Motown and sixties soul, I want to recreate an authentic drum sound from logic's library of drum kits to use in my music.

I've made a start, using (obviously) logic's 'motown revisited' kit as a starting point, playing with the eq and some tape saturation. Its a starter for 10, but i don't feel its there yet. Is there anything else i could be doing or considering to nail that 60's soul sound?

Below is a sound cloud clip of what i have so far

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/paul-holford/motownish[/soundcloud]

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Man, that sounds pretty close. You're off to a good start.

The drums are a little too 'out front' in your mix here and a little mushy sounding (a tighter snare sound may help).

Perhaps if you could upload a sample project (this one?) and someone could play around with it and trade back any ideas for it ?

Nice.

It's a good start! But if you go back and listen to those old songs you will find that the drums are usually buried and swampy/murky sounding and of course recorded in mono. Also they would play a floor tom in place of the Hihat quite a bit to give it that dark swampy feeling. Do not over-play. Keep it Simple!

Thanks for the feedback guys, i really appreciate your tips and advice.

I wan't sure what was going on with the reverb, as i haven't used any at all. Turns out that the dry sound of the snare has that reverb integral to the sample. I'm trying to find a dry sounding snare that will work...no luck yet! It might have to wait til i get ni komplete as my very generous xmas present to myself.

I'll have a play around and then get the project uploaded - there's not a lot to it as yet though, a bit of eq and a tiny touch of compression, and a waves kramer tape plugin used abundantly.

Cheers!