Need advice with external hard drive

Hi, I'm planning to buy the new Imac 27" Retina, I will order the Imac with a 500 go SSD internal drive dedicated to the system, and I 'm planning to buy a G-Tech G-RAID Studio Thunderbolt 2 external drive 8 To.

I'd like to know if it still necessary as we used to do a few years ago to dispatch samples (streaming

Kontakt, Nexus etc...) from audio recording with separate hard drives (I would in case buy an extra USB3 hard disk especially for the audio), or I could read samples while recording audio with this hard drive.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

I would suggest putting samples on the internal SSD, if they fit, and audio files on the external. This is because sample reading is seek time intensive (easy for an SSD), and reading audio files is bandwidth intensive (easy for HD).

(As for the system drive, once Logic is launched, the disk access to run the OS and application is fairly minimal.)

It's not *always* necessary to use two different drives for audio and samples, but it is a very large amount of work for one drive to keep switching back and forth. Separating the two tasks spreads out the workload.