Advice on what to upgrade my computer for better performance

I use a lot of taxing software instruments (Omnisphere, East West, Kontakt). When I have large projects I often get the " System Overload" message. I try to bounce and freeze tracks as much as possible, but it seems that I may just need to upgrade my system a bit for better performance. So my question is, what will give me the most bang for the buck to improve performance? Or another way to put it, what part of my computer is being taxed the most by these software instruments?

In your experience would upgrading the RAM, HD or getting something with more cores be most beneficial?

I'm NOT looking for a "just upgrade everything" answer. I'd like to know what you guys feel like would boost the software instrument performance for my computer THE MOST.

iMac (mid 2011) i7 2.4 ghz quad core, 8GB ram

7200 rpm HD

Thanks guys.

Not sure myself but I've done 2 RAM upgrades through that company (one for my MacBook and one for my main iMac) and they have been good and also cheaper. It saved me about $100 by choosing the stock RAM from Apple and then just upgrading it myself with their RAM

You could 16GB if you want, but it certainly never hurts to have more

On the recent iMacs they have a door in the back to install RAM, but I'm not sure about your iMac, so check on how to do that and whether or not you'll need a professional to do it

• 5 months later...
Ok, so I could potentially just run projects (with audio files in the project folder) from an external SSD drive to get the advantages from a SSD? But as far as most of my software instruments, RAM is most important.

The advantages of an external SSD can be felt mainly with a Thunderbolt connection and with video. Audio not so much because it has less bandwidth than video.

But a lot of people swap out the internal HD with an SSD and record to that and then move it to another external after they're done.