Getting real disgusted with Logic pro

I've been working on Logic Pro for the past 15 months now. Have bought the LP workbook, have watches a hundred hours or more of YouTube videos and the best that i can do is only come up with a sound that is about 1/2 of what the professional recordings have for width, depth, field and clarity.

Does Logic pro REALLY produce professional quality recordings? I think NOT!

I've been working on Logic Pro for the past 15 months now. Have bought the LP workbook, have watches a hundred hours or more of YouTube videos and the best that i can do is only come up with a sound that is about 1/2 of what the professional recordings have for width, depth, field and clarity.

Wow, I don't even know where to begin with this...

If you or anyone here knows of a DAW that gives you instant results, i. e. magical professional sounds with minimal effort please do let me know.

First of all, Logic does not "produce" results, YOU do. Everything that comes out of Logic relies on what YOU put in! Most people take years just to get decent so wondering why you aren't already a master at this after a little over a year is mind boggling. Have you checked out the demo project that comes with Logic? Obviously you haven't because then you wouldn't be asking what type of results you can get from Logic. Several producers can get amazing results with the stock Logic plugins alone.

I think what's happening here is that you're probably watching way too many YouTube videos, and without fully understanding one concept you head onto another. You also are not loving the process, this is a very big mistake and it will keep you miserable. Like with most things, learning and getting good with Logic or any other DAW for that matter is going to take time. So if you don't embrace the learning process, you really aren't going to get anywhere and you'll probably give up altogether.

I totally get it though... You want faaast results. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way. Not for Logic, not for anything in life. I can assure you, if you aren't getting good results with Logic, you aren't going to get good results with Cubase, Ableton, Reaper, Studio One, etc... either. As an experiment, why don't you purchase one of these other DAWs and see if the same thing happens or not. I'll bet a million dollars that you will be just as disappointed.

If you cannot get pro results out of Logic, you definitely need to work and exercise more. It's not about Logic, but about you and your preferred workflow. Maybe another DAW will be better for you. That's very highly a matter of taste.

If you can't create good results in another DAW either, you definitely need to be more patient ;)

EDIT: I worked with Cubase, Protools and Logic. And it really doesn't matter what you use. Crap in, crap out :!:

Simply put, at the end of the day any DAW is really just a place you put your audio; it's only about what you do to those pieces of audio

On a separate forum there was an argument about which DAW "sounds" best and it became heated to the point where one of the members who had access to almost all the major DAWs (Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, Ableton, etc.) and ran frequency and metering tests through all of them and they all had the exact same measurements/results

This really means the only factor that comes into choosing a DAW is:

1) Features offered

2) Price

3) Ease of use

I honestly feel Logic excels in all 3

Logic came with such high end synth, mixing/mastering, modulation, and modeling plug-ins that I pretty much can't leave it. I practically rely on Logic's synths for some of my works. Not to mention other editing tools such as Flex Time and Flex Pitch

The price is absolutely unbeatable. $200 for all the features while Pro Tools costs a whopping $900 and I don't think that comes with as many, if any, plug-ins as Logic. And then it's an extra $600 for the "HD" version. Cubase comes in at a slightly more reasonable $550

I may be bias in saying Logic excels in ease of use though because I've been on it long enough :D :wink:

But just as everyone said; patience and practice

I go back and listen to my first mixes and I hate myself. "Why the hell did I do that?"

But now I can listen to my mixes and say "eh, maybe that's a little weird but it still isn't that bad"

Heck, I even got a few compliments on some of my mixing! It only took me 5 years but was worth it! :D

Thanks to everybody but you don't get it at all. Not one of you.

Have you guys ever noticed how clear, bold, full and "REAL" Apple loops sound? Now play a piece with their steinway piano. Notice the HUGE downgrade is CLARITY,BOLDNESS,FULLNESS and REAL PRESENCE???? If LP can put in professional quality LOOPS.... then why can't they put in a professional sounding PIANO??? Why should a PROFESSIONAL SOUNDING PIANO be so hard?

And NO! I am not looking for "FAST" results! I am only looking for a professional sounding piano and yes I did buy Ivory steinway piano and those samples have way too much low end in them too! Can't anybody produce a sampled piano that sounds and feels like the real thing?

And LP strings sound like crap too!

Edited by Newguy716

If LP can put in professional quality LOOPS.... then why can't they put in a professional sounding PIANO??? Why should a PROFESSIONAL SOUNDING PIANO be so hard?

An Apple Loop has already been processed with effects/mastered, that's why it sounds good.

The Steinway piano is unprocessed for the most part. But name me one DAW that gives you an amazing sounding piano out of the box? Answer: None. If you really want a good sounding piano, you're going to have to purchase a third party instrument. That's just the way it is.

You should also explore the channel strip instruments in the Library. Most of those instruments have effects on them so they will sound better then loading the Steinway Piano in the EXS24.

And NO! I am not looking for "FAST" results you Ja88axxes! I am only looking for a professional sounding piano and yes I did buy Ivory steinway piano and those samples have way too much low end in them too!

Then why did you not mention that in the first place? That you wanted a professional sounding piano? No mention of piano sounds specifically at all in your initial post... you just went on and on about Logic not being able to "produce professional quality recordings". No mention of a piano AT ALL.

If you wanted to complain about how the Steinway piano and Logic strings suck, then you should have said just that: "Getting real disgusted with the Steinway and strings sounds" and not complained/blame Logic itself.

Thanks to everybody but you don't get it at all. Not one of you.

I think we all "got it". You just have a lot of trouble articulating yourself.

Edited by anp27

Thanks to all the Know Nothing Trolls , Smart Mouths and Masters of the Obvious that can't contain their two cents worth and immediately explode with their false accusations that doesn't even apply to the context of my post.

IF YOU know how to take LP's Steinway piano from "worthless" to "Fantastic Stage Presence" Please make a DETAILED YOUTUBE Video of HOW YOU DID IT so we may all benefit from your great wisdom. All other responses not directed at revealing this information including how lazy I am need not FU**ING RESPOND!

Thank you.

Edited by Newguy716

It can produce great results if you know what to do. 'What to do' is what you are asking. How you are asking is out of line.

HOWEVER, I do agree with you in terms of getting a finished sound with an instrument (or vocal).

First off Logic is software that is written to help record and process analog signals into digital signals. your computer is basically a calculator. Trying to capture an analog Grand Piano is a painstaking task that requires expensive miss and processing equipment, yet some people stick a cheap mic somewhere in the room and get fantastic results with no processing.

My biggest peeve is the acoustic guitar. The sound I hear in my head is not what my guitar is producing. So based on all my research, some of the solutions are to get a different guitar, get better pics, get a better mic pre-amp, etc…. YA … RIGHT!

The Logic pianos do not sound all that great, my Yamaha keyboard piano sounds don't sound all that great. You know what? I have to make the best of what I have. Once all the instruments are mixed together, all the individual instruments end up getting changed a little bit anyway. So in the end, all the sounds end up being an illusion.

In the real world it becomes extremely important during the tracking phase of recording to get the source right to begin with. this means my recorded acoustic guitar better sound like the acoustic guitar I am playing. Plugging it in direct doesn't sound quite right, using one mic doesn't either. Using two mic's improves the sound because they are picking up more information.

Blah, Blah, Blah ….

Despite all that, Logic can only capture what you put in. Logic can process the signal based on what you use. So we can go from EQ to compression and a bunch of other processors and FX. Other factors are your room acoustics and knowledge of how to record and mix.

Logic and any other DAW are just a tool to get you from point 'A' to point 'B.'

There are simply too many variables required to get 'that' sound. So please don't whine and cry about it.

Here is an example of how simple it gets… http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=586023#p586023

Someone said that the Apple loops were all created using LP. I think it would be a fine idea if the people who know how to do this would make videos of how they did do it. Because all the books and macprovideos teach is key commands. Well, learning a key command and taking the worthless LP Steinway samples and turning them into something as good as the loops are not the same thing.

Once again I say "If you know how to take LP Steinway samples and turn them into something as good as the loops then please share this information, because THAT'S why people buy LP, NOT to learn the KEY COMMANDS!!!!!!"

If you know how to polish the Steinway turds then please respond to this thread. If you don't then PLEASE! stfu.

Thank you!

Thanks to all the Know Nothing Trolls , Smart Mouths and Masters of the Obvious that can't contain their two cents worth and immediately explode with their false accusations that doesn't even apply to the context of my post.

As I mentioned before, if you had stated from the very beginning that you were unhappy with the Logic PIANO, then you would have gotten direct and more specific responses. All of us here respond only to what was written. We can't read your mind, nor do we know your background or situations. Just answer me this: Go back to your original post and re-read it. Do you see any mention of piano sound specifically? I don't.

The "context of your post" changed from being unhappy with the "quality of Logic" one minute to "quality of Logic's piano". Do you see now how much confusion this has caused, for everybody? Please don't speak about us not knowing the context of your post.. You have severe problems articulating yourself and comunicating on a mature level.

The "context of your post" changed from being unhappy with the "quality of Logic" one minute to "quality of Logic's piano". Do you see now how much confusion this has caused, for everybody? Please don't speak about us not knowing the context of your post.. You have severe problems articulating yourself and comunicating on a mature level.

Don't waste your time on this one. Newguy716 is an obvious troll.

Dear anp27: Since you have trouble both UNDERSTANDING AND READING, I will type this REAL SLOW>>>>>>>

I am disgusted with BOTH the piano samples AND the results I hear when I listen back. OK? I don't need you trolling me every post.

Now, ONCE AGAIN!! I ONLY WANT RESPONSES FROM THE PEOPLE WHO CAN POLISH THE STEINWAY SAMPLES. This DOES NOT include your comments over and over again. Can you polish the Steinway samples? Yes or no? If yes post address to the detailed video so we can all learn from you. if not STOP TALKING!

Thank you.

Newguy716, maybe you aren't a troll and truly want some guidance on the subject of pianos. There are many, many people here who would have been delighted to give you some good advice about that, however, your excessively belligerent tone has pretty much eliminated that option. But I'll give it a bit of a shot!

On the subject of piano, note that many apple loops come with reverb which you can hear in the loop browser but which won't transfer when you drop the midi loop into the song - you'll need to add that afterwards. And of course, any other processing of the piano will entirely depend on the surrounding song, which will effect your panning, reverb, eq and compression choices. A banging rock song will likely need a thinner, brighter piano with less dynamics, for instance. A ballad might need a darker more "open" piano with some reverb. So many choices, all depending on your song.

I concur with many here that your original post did not mention piano which has caused people to help you in the "wrong way". Please be aware that the more hostile sarcasm you pile on here is basically only serving as a lesson to any newcomers of how NOT to ask for help at LPH. Believe me, this is one of the most helpful, professional and knowledgeable audio forums you could hope to make use of.