New Mac Pro's vs 2010 Mac Pro

Hi all,

I'm upgrading my 2009 Mac Pro (2x2.26Ghz Quad-Core).

Browsing the new Mac Pro dustbins....3.7Ghz quad-core with 12GB memory for £2,499. And that's the bare minimum spec, shooting up to £5.3k for a 12-core (not going to happen!). And I'd need something like the Blackmagic Multidock for £400 or so as well to house my SSD's.

Or I could get a used and refurbished 2010 Mac Pro, 12 12 Core 3.46GHz with 64GB RAM for £2199 (for example).

Does anyone want to talk me into spending more money than that on a new one?! Will I regret not having Thunderbolt?

I'm slightly reluctant to buy a 5 year old computer to replace a 6 year old one, and I'm very happy to spend more if it's going to last much longer, but I'm not convinced. Original budget was £2500-3500.....but always happy to spend less!!!

I'm using Logic, and big orchestral templates - 200+ instances of Kontakt, 20-30 instances of PLAY and 20-30 soft synths too. Current system is struggling big time now.

Any advice appreciated!

Jamie

I purchased a 2010 12-Core Mac Pro as opposed to getting an Overly priced new one. My reasons were simple....

1. I have a UAD 2 Pci Card, which would mean another "Break out box" for the new MP's PCI

1a. PCI Lynx Aurora Interface.

2. The internals of my current machine allow for 4 Hard Drives, so Solid State System disc, and 3 other Mega drives for project data.

3. 2 Super-drives, Yes I still occasionally burn a CD or Two.

4. DDR 3 Memory 48GB of it, This machine runs like a SpaceShip.

WARNING: I purchased this computer on E-Bay, and I was very happy at first, until one of the fans started cranking up the noise. Turned out that the person I purchased it from was a "BUTCHER" and used all kinds of weird washers and such to attach the fans leaving one of them to get loose and become disabled. It was then I found a local guy why replaced the 2-2.4 6-core chips with 2-3.2 chips 6-Cores. $500 later she's FAST, Whisper Quiet and running 24X7 without any issues.....

Oh I still regret no Thunderbolt....