Nektar Panorama Logic Integration Update

Hi all,

There's a new version of Nektar Panorama Logic integratiion (20150903) that includes full control of all Logic synths (including Alchemy) - where all Panorama sliders etc. are mapped to the synth. You can navigate between "pages" of params (Oscillator, Filter, Amp, Mod etc.) with the Data encoder.

Creation of, and navigation with, markers, scrubbing and a few other cool transport things have been added. This, combined with existing transport functions, is pretty similar to using an MCU to get around your project.

You can now insert effects and instruments in channels from Panorama.

There's also a new graphical Editor app that makes it easy to map Logic params to Panorama controls. This works for both Logic and AU insts. The internal synth "page" navigation can be modified, and you can create your own page hierarchy/mappings for AU synths. The app automatically backs up/writes new plists that are reflected immediately on Panorama (you might need to reload the plug-in).

Log-in to your user account to get ir.

Dave/mods, please move if in the wrong place.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. The keyboard "feel" is different to M-Audio, Akai, Arturia, Novation etc. so it may not be to everyone's taste.

On a peronal note, it took me about 2-3 hours before I got used to it. It tracks/responds to touch very quickly/dynamically - so once you have a handle on this, it's a nice board to play.

As above, YMMV.

As far as the controller side of things go, it's nice to have everything laid out immediately above the keyboard. The marker functions mentioned above are mapped to the drum pads (you can switch between marker/pad use with a button press). The pads aren't Maschine good, but they're better than many on similar MIDI controllers from other manufacturers.

The best thing though...is no "automap" or similar software layer.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. The keyboard "feel" is different to M-Audio, Akai, Arturia, Novation etc. so it may not be to everyone's taste.

On a peronal note, it took me about 2-3 hours before I got used to it. It tracks/responds to touch very quickly/dynamically - so once you have a handle on this, it's a nice board to play.

Just a side-note for novation, they actually use Fatar keybeds and are much less plasticky than other mentioned (tried them all), that is, if you like Fatar key-beds.

Still, I saw Nektar before and it didn't phase me - now with deep logic integration it indeed seems nice...

How does it work?

And 3rd party plugins?

Because Automap is horrible, and I only use novation in manual mode because I can't stand automap :/

Panorama communicates with Logic directly. There are no wrappers or

separate software that forces you to change your workflow. This is what

enables Panorama to map Logic’s default instruments, even though the

instruments are native and not AU plugins.

But that’s not a limitation. AU plugins are automatically controllable from

Panorama. Parameter are presented in the order delivered by the plugin

so you get an immediate starting point..

Wow, this sounds so wonderful. Setting up transport with Novation in manual mode was a pain in the ass by itself.

How does it work?

And 3rd party plugins?

Because Automap is horrible, and I only use novation in manual mode because I can't stand automap :/

Wow, this sounds so wonderful. Setting up transport with Novation in manual mode was a pain in the ass by itself.

It works very smoothly/seamlessly.

With the new features (ability to insert plugs from the unit and marker/transport) it becomes a really great tool for sketching ideas.

It's worthwhile altering your default projects/workflow slightly to use multiple marker maps etc. as navigation aids. These. combined with the cycle/FF/rew/track select etc. buttons let you get round the project, drop in/out of record etc. without touching the mouse (or even looking at the computer screen much). This sort of stuff is discussed in the appendix of the manual.

In Mixer mode, you can insert EQ, FX, inst plugs, and adjust sends/eq/FX (and inst) params while maintaining control of channel fader level, select, mute, solo, pan. You can select banks of channels, can insert Library settings, you can step through plug-in settings etc.

In Instrument mode, the entire control surface is given over to control of the active Logic or AU instrument. The layout/config of onscreen parameters to hardware controls is determined by plist files. There's a "standard" mapping used by Nektar for Logic instruments where all faders are mapped to Amp/Filter envelopes, for example. Logic instruments are divided into "pages" of grouped params - osc, filt, mod, fx, etc. depending on the synth params. You can change the mapping of a Logic plug if you aren't happy with the Nektar map (I've found it to be pretty "logical", and have only changed a couple of params here and there).

AU insts are also mapped to the entire control surface - in the order that the plist presents params to Panorama. These are often not ideal, but are easily changed by editing the plist.

....which brings us nicely to...

The plist editor app that ships with the update.

This is a graphical tool that shows the Panorama controls onscreen. It automatically scans your system for AU plugs.

Select a scanned plug, click a control, assign a parameter from the list of all params presented by the plug-in - and it's mapped!

You can lay these out on "pages" as you can with the Logic native plugs.

The tool automatically backs up your old plist file/writes the new one.

This is only V1 of the utility and AFAIK, the dev will be adding a few improvements - but as it stands, it is fast/stable/makes plist editing a no brainer.

Bottom line, it works well and is a great controller for Logic. Is there room for more control?

Absolutely, and I'm sure that integration will get even deeper with the next update.

There are a few small annoyances that are related to the AU spec/the way that plug-ins are presented by Logic. These are out of Nektar's control, so we have to live with them for now, but hopefully they'll be resolved and there'll be dancing in the streets.

As an afterthought on the keyboard feel....if anyone wants to do a test drive make sure it's actually hooked up to a sound source. I don't know how many stores have racks of controllers on a wall - not connected to anything - but this doesn't indicate how the keyboard / sound source "response" works and I'm sure is the reason for many "it feels plasticky" etc. opinions on various keyboards. Testing like this is kinda pointless IMO as you remove the "instrument" part of the equation and are only testing a box.

Hey There!

This is about the closest thing I've seen to a quasi-Panorama Users Group anywhere on the Internet, so glad to see others into it, or thinking about it.

Nectar graciously allowed me to download the integration on Thursday afternoon, and I've been playing around with it on and off since, but also reading and deciphering its updated documentation, which is well worth reading several times.

I bought my P4 last summer (2014), but been kinda busy and haven't really dug in too deeply. But with the update, I did play around with it more in terms of bringing in the additional Instrument and Transport modes, and it's pretty sweet with Logic. I have previously played with the pads and its features, also pretty sweet. I like the idea of the pads mode for markers, and I pulled up an older project with markers and arrangements, and moving through it worked like a charm.

The only problem that I'm having right now is getting some third-party plugins to move through presets via the Patch button. For instance, Subboombass and Bass Station worked out of the box, but the NI plugins I tested, Massive and FM8, both did not respond. Same with KORG's M1 from the Legacy Collection, or XPand2 from Air, or Omnisphere (though that one might have been a bit much). Per the directions in the user guide, I did go to Manual and Save as Default. Patch buttons still did not respond. I even closed out and reopened Logic, and also rebooted. Nada. If any of you had to resort to those instructions, did they work for you? I'd like to know what I'm missing.

Finally, Tim Chandler! I've been following you since discovering Panorama's Logic integration via the great Sonic State videos last year. I've been very pleased with what I gotten, and it's great that you and the crew have been working hard to give us Logic users a great workflow experience. I was tired of M-Audio's huge lack of support for DirectLink and HyperControl for Logic, so feeling at home now. Hope that you, Niels, Justin and the rest keep on keeping it on!

Okay, enough from me. Seriously guys, hope we can all keep in touch and share our Panorama experiences.

Best Wishes,

V.

Hey Again:

FYI that Niels from Nektar got back to me about the patch issue. Apparently, I need to choose a preset (or create a patch) and then save it. I have to do this individually, for each preset. In a way, from a workflow perspective, it kinda forces me to be more deliberate with my choices. On the other hand, some way that it could impede on creativity, but if it comes down to it when nothing wrong with keyboard and a mouse.

Anyway, just wanted to close that subject out. Thanks!

V.

FYI that Niels from Nektar got back to me about the patch issue. Apparently, I need to choose a preset (or create a patch) and then save it. I have to do this individually, for each preset. In a way, from a workflow perspective, it kinda forces me to be more deliberate with my choices. On the other hand, some way that it could impede on creativity, but if it comes down to it when nothing wrong with keyboard and a mouse.

Anyway, just wanted to close that subject out. Thanks!

V.

Yep, need to save as Logic plug-in settings (or CST/Library).

As a starting point, you might wanna check out the incredible resource created by other forum members here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15267

Another option you have - if the plug-in presents this as an option - is to map a Panorama control to the "Library" or "Database" or "Patches" button available in some plugs. This will launch a list of patches within the instrument and you can navigate that way.

Wow, oscwilde, I just had a check of the thread with the folks there volunteering to create presets. First of all, genius idea; that's an impressive one that I'm sure has benefitted a lot of people. I actually downloaded some, so will give it a try. I will have to play with them to see whether or not I'll want to stick with them, but I can always make a separate user folder for those presets that I know I want separated, as well as those I create.

Seriously, you should let Nektar know about it; a treasure trove and a time saver!

When I have time, maybe I'll add one or two....once I find out about, if Nektar has it, an AU list of plugins mapped.

Again, many thanks....this is great!

V.

I helped out a little with the Nektar documentation / testing for this release. Niels & the guys are aware of the patch lists etc. available here.

I can't speak for Nektar, but it would be unprofessional / discourteous to link to the resources / material here without seeking Dave's OK.

On a related tangent..note the "Cloud Library" button in the Editor app.

As mentioned above, this is V1 of the app...and there'll hopefully be more stuff added when Leon has time - but the "Cloud" functionality (when operational) should be a hub for user/Nektar-created maps for 3rd-party plugs.

Hopefully, lots of users will chip in to create a bunch of maps - like the members here have done with patches/settings.

I have created several maps already (with more to come) - and will upload these when it's established where/when the "cloud" / Nektar server space is set up.....I don't know when/how/if this is going to happen...but hopefully soon.

I helped out a little with the Nektar documentation / testing for this release. Niels & the guys are aware of the patch lists etc. available here.

I can't speak for Nektar, but it would be unprofessional / discourteous to link to the resources / material here without seeking Dave's OK.

Understood; looked good enough to put the idea out there, as it seems like perfect synergy between the thread's contributors and Nektar. Good that you've already been helping Nektar out; the documentation was really good, especially the tips!

I bought a P4 last summer. This update is fantastic. The only regret I have about the Panorama is that I should have gotten the P6 instead!

I got my P4 last summer, as well. And like you, I wish I gotten the P6.

It's just as well that I don't have it yet, because it's next to my Maschine Studio, which I acquired this past Spring. My "studio" is actually a workstation that takes up a corner of my bedroom.

Glad that you enjoy the update; I'm just barely scratching the surface, but from what I've been able to use so far it's awesome.

Great info, thanks for that thread link!

Yes unfortunately some 3rd party plugins keep their presets to a proprietary format. I do wish there was a standardised format for plugins but as it is for some AUs you have to rely on either saving your favourites as AU presets that Logic can see, or in some cases you can use the Panorama's QWERTY macro support. So this link is very useful.

To use Panorama's QWERTY support, hold down the F-KEYS button, and the transport controls access F1-F11 which are globally assignable to any MIDI or QWERTY message. By default, REW/FWD are Up/Down arrows, |<< and >>| are left/right, play is ENTER and STOP is ESCAPE. So those QWERTY controls cover menu navigation.

I really look forward to hearing about peoples experience with this. It is indeed exciting to know that it does not meddle with wrappers for plugs etc.

I only had a brief time with Novation and Automap and swore I would never go there again. Only spent a short time with it and it has already bitten me in the proverbial when trying to recall a project form that small time in my life.

All the best!

Hey Matt,

I hear you with Automap. I'll be offloading my Zero SL soon.

Re: Panorama - if you need a keyboard (as I did when my ASR10 finally gave up the ghost after 20+ years), you should definitely give it a crack. I suggest the P4/P6 over the P1 because they have the Pads/motor fader - and a lot of the new stuff relies on these control elements.

How does the keybed compare to the SLMk? I've read many reports of it being noisy.

I'm always very disappointed when testing other keybeds.

There's an amount of release noise due to the different weighting/mechanism, but this is primarily noticeable when you play the keyboard without triggering a sound (which is pointless).

It's no noisier than any weighted action, but it is noisier than many synth actions.

Obviously, a personal thing, but it hasn't bothered me because my listening levels are louder than the action.

Fom a "touch" and repetition perspective, it tracks very accurately and quickly which took a few hours to get used to, coming from my ASR10 keyboard.

Yep, need to save as Logic plug-in settings (or CST/Library).

As a starting point, you might wanna check out the incredible resource created by other forum members here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15267

Such a treasure trove; thanks again!

One question: in the way that patches have to be saved as 'Saved As" for each, it looks as if the Patch button only navigates to root level and not subfolders in Panorama, am I correct on that? I ask because I tested Omnisphere yesterday, and it ignored the folders and, thus, access to patches within those folders.