How to create a pedal steel sound?

• 3 months later...

Its pretty easy to get a pedal guitar sound - for instance just use the the EXS24 twangy electric, the attack is a little harsh but you pull that back using the compressor/limiter and roll off some of the top end and you'll get close.

The problem is a pedal steel only sounds like a pedal steel because of the way its played.

So my bests tip is to play the rough setup above. Don't worry about a perfect sound and and practice using the pitch bender to slide up to. If you can play it the way you want you can tweak the sound to taste.

Its pretty easy to get a pedal guitar sound - for instance just use the the EXS24 twangy electric, the attack is a little harsh but you pull that back using the compressor/limiter and roll off some of the top end and you'll get close.

Actually, it isn't easy because you cannot bend individual strings that way.

If you are serious about it:

http://www.wavelore.com/products.php?product=WLPS

There is a learning curve because the behavior is like the real thing in that it won't let you play strings with bends that the real thing cannot

You can use an EXS guitar sample with a compressor to get something sustaining and smooth, then use the pitch bend to slide the notes up and down. You'll need a different EXS instance for each note within the chord so slides don't effect every note. Them is all about programming finesse. IMHO don't bother. There are plenty of online session guys that'll record you the real thing, bringing class, authenticity and collaboration to your project. Dont assume the best and cheapest solution for ANY problem is software - it rarely is.

• 2 years later...

I am intrigued by the questions as well, and I am happy to see previous people posting about how to at least achieve the right patch sound.

To answer more specifically about your question, I am going to theorize, and then attempt this myself. Using the following steps, you MAY be able to have individual notes BEND while the others stay in place.

1. Create 2 identical tracks with the desired pedal steel sound you want. They are both playable from the same MIDI keyboard

2. Create velocity zones on both of them. One will activate between 0-63, the other only between 64-127.

3. Disable pitch bend on one of these channels (choose whether you want the higher velocity channel to remain in place, or be the one that bends)

For steps 4 onward, assume that you've assign the HIGHER velocity channel to be the bending note

4. Learn to play the notes so that the pitch you want to remain constant is hit with a velocity between 0-63, and the other that you want to bend needs to be hit between 64-127

5. Use the pitch bend to bend the higher velocity note the direction you want to.

6. In this scenario, you'll only be able to bend ONE note while leaving the one (or two) stationary. Authentic steel guitar can sometimes move on pitch a 1/2 step while simultaneously moving another one a whole step. A move that like simply can't. Work out, so you're limited to only this simple sound.

Depending on your keyboard's sensitivity, and your playing style, you may need to use different velocity numbers. For example, if you play too strong, you'll need to try zones of 0-80, and 81-127. If your velocities are weaker, try lower numbers. THe point is, you need to keep the two keyboard sounds discreet so only ONE bends, and the other stays still, assuming you have played the notes in different zones to start with.

I am going to try this when my gear is set up again. It may not be possible to play this precisely, as it will take a ready knack to get it.

Good luck!