Apogee Duet (Firewire) audio interface question???

• 3 weeks later...
Returned the Duet Firewire and upgraded to an Apogee Element 24. Nice interface. Thunderbolt...so almost zero latency...or so it seems when recording.

I just got one, too (thanks to Jay Asher's recommendation and a few other forum members). It is an awesome interface; the clarity I'm getting out of my monitors now is night and day compared to my previous UR22. What's really cool is that it shows up directly in a Logic channel strip.

I'm using Yamaha HS8's, it was a tough call between those and the Focal Alpha 65's. Monitor's are such a personal taste, I suggest trying as many as possible....even outside your budget so can get comparisons. I tried some that were I the $5k range, and still preferred the Yammy's. The Genelec's are very sweet too, but I love the flatness I get from the HS8.

I was looking at the Genelec 8040B, very nice but also more than double the cost of the Yamaha's.

I would spend a bit more and get the HS8's if you're looking at the Yamaha's. You won't need a sub. I use them in a small room and the room controls on the back of the monitor are great....although I have had good results leaving them at their default settings.

I was looking at the Genelec 8040B, very nice but also more than double the cost of the Yamaha's.

I would spend a bit more and get the HS8's if you're looking at the Yamaha's. You won't need a sub. I use them in a small room and the room controls on the back of the monitor are great....although I have had good results leaving them at their default settings.

Thanks! I actually went with the HS7's. The HS8's are simply too big for my desk. The HS7's sound great hooked up to the Element 24! Really, really nice. What is absolutely shocking though is how different my mixes sound through actual speakers versus headphones. I've been mixing on only headphones for a few years now because of my living situation. Headphones are too misleading it would appear based on what I am hearing through the Yamahas. I guess because of crossover. What a difference. Very happy with the Yamahas so far. Great value.

The salesman was trying to get me to buy a pair of Adam AX7's. Too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
My only complaint regarding the Apogee Element 24 audio interface is the unit requires an external power supply...so the unit is not really mobile like the Apogee Duet. I asked Apogee tech support why they did this with the Element 24...why couldn't the unit be thunderbolt powered the same way the Duet is USB powered...thus making the Element 24 a mobile unit too? Apogee tech support said the converters in the Element require more power than the thunderbolt port can supply. A bit of a bummer if you ask me. Unit sounds great though.

Glad you like the Yamaha's! You simply can't go wrong with those. And yes, having a decent interface and monitors makes a huge difference. I'm finding all kinds of tiny details that I didn't realize were present in older mixes.

Can't you just stop with your purchase justification?

Dude, you were between yamahas and alphas, the budgetest of focal monitors. I have Twins, and did extensive testing of Solos, CMS, Twins and SM9s next to Genelec A1032 and KRK VXT6, and the difference between two pairs of focals was immense, difference between interfaces on same pair was not even a fraction of it.

Going from a decent interface to another decent interface is *quantifiable* (---> you can measure it) and is not a huge difference. Stop propagating these myths and go read a book. It's not like you have everything else in your signal chain so expensive that could warrant such a difference. It's simply not there. Not to mention acoustic treatment.

Go in a real studio and try listening through different monitors and ask what engineers who do real work think of this and what's the biggest selling point of interfaces...

The Duet FireWire works fine for me with High Sierra running on both a Mac mini (Mid 2011) and a MacBook Pro (Early 2015). The only quirk I've noticed is that the volume control icon in the menu bar no longer changes to reflect the output volume, which I control with the volume up/down buttons on the keyboard. It's not a big problem. The Duet worked with no such issues with Sierra.

I'm looking forward to upgrading to the Apogee Element, although I'm prioritizing other upgrades such as my computer, external drives, etc.

On another note, I've tested the Duet 2 and the current Duet on my system and I could hear a difference listening to music compared with the original Duet. I preferred the sound of the original, which is why I stuck with it. Anyone else have that experience?

Glad you like the Yamaha's! You simply can't go wrong with those. And yes, having a decent interface and monitors makes a huge difference. I'm finding all kinds of tiny details that I didn't realize were present in older mixes.

Can't you just stop with your purchase justification?

Dude, you were between yamahas and alphas, the budgetest of focal monitors. I have Twins, and did extensive testing of Solos, CMS, Twins and SM9s next to Genelec A1032 and KRK VXT6, and the difference between two pairs of focals was immense, difference between interfaces on same pair was not even a fraction of it.

Going from a decent interface to another decent interface is *quantifiable* (---> you can measure it) and is not a huge difference. Stop propagating these myths and go read a book. It's not like you have everything else in your signal chain so expensive that could warrant such a difference. It's simply not there. Not to mention acoustic treatment.

Go in a real studio and try listening through different monitors and ask what engineers who do real work think of this and what's the biggest selling point of interfaces...

Ploki, with all due respect, I don't need to justify anything. My system works for what I'm doing, and I love it. My editors love the mixes, my sound is transparent for MY liking, life is good; this is the combo that I was looking for (regardless of what others are using). Just as I'm sure your setup is perfect for whatever YOU are doing. I'm also loving the 75 dB gain I can get from the mic pre's....can't do that with the UR22 ;)

For what it's worth, Jay Asher (a very reputable forum member and respected veteran in the industry) highly recommended the Element 24. IMO, he was right on the money. From what I understand, he tracked his latest album with this interface. Again, whatever floats your boat.