Apogee Duet (Firewire) audio interface question???

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Apogee Duet (Firewire) audio interface for pretty cheap...approximately $180 (U.S.). That's pretty much my budget right now for audio interfaces.

I checked on the Apogee website for any compatibility issues with OS X El Capitan (the OS X I am currently using) and the firewire Duet is indeed compatible. Will there be any problems using this particular interface with Logic 10.2.2? Or, any other problems that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

The preamps are clean and quite transparent (no embellishment or colouring) with plenty of gain available.

The converters are very good and they sound much better than my old MOTU 828MKII.

The difference between the sample rates is small if not inexistent (at least I don't hear any difference) which I attribute to very good output filters.

Longevity? I can't answer to that. All I can say is that I have had mine for more that ten years, never had any problems and it always worked well.

I even used it on the road as a guitar effects (with an old G4 powerbook running Logic 9) for a while (two months).

As for Apogee's support you will have to ask them and we know that Apple doesn't support Firewire anymore; but if you keep the same computer with the same OS and software you should be good for another 2-4 years.

Longevity? I can't answer to that. All I can say is that I have had mine for more that ten years, never had any problems and it always worked well.

I even used it on the road as a guitar effects (with an old G4 powerbook running Logic 9) for a while (two months).

As for Apogee's support you will have to ask them and we know that Apple doesn't support Firewire anymore; but if you keep the same computer with the same OS and software you should be good for another 2-4 years.

Thanks. Just asked them that same question this morning. Apogee said the reason they stop supporting their products...unlike companies such as RME...is because Apogee interfaces make use of Apples's Core Audio...so, no drivers, like most other companies provide. Therefore, Apogee has to 'move along' at the same pace as Apple.

I think I got that right. :)

• 3 months later...
Why worry about longevity when you're buying a $600 unit for $180? If it works for your current configuration, It's a very good deal. I've had one since January 2011. What I've been finding, BTW, is companies not testing on earlier OS/DAW configurations... so they no longer support them. For example, when I called UAD and got in touch with iZotope due to my older config, they both acknowledged that two software products NOT supported would likely work just fine for me.

All my old projects have all been upgraded to Logic X projects a long time ago so yes they work with my new configuration ( I haven't tried all of them yet! ).

I know this is off topic but how has your experience been with upgrading your old projects to Logic X denitronik? I have a ton of projects (many originally created in Logic 8) that I have been working with in Logic 9 with no problems. Considering upgrading to Logic X and would love to know how that worked out for you with your old projects.

I upgraded my old projects using the default method: I just opened my old projects in Logic X and a dialog box appears asking you if you want to convert the it to Logic X format. This creates an new Logic X project leaving your original intact. 

Most of the time this process works well and sometimes I had to tweak some things (with very old projects with external synths that I don't have anymore).

I have to mention that most of my projects are relatively simple and I use Logic's plugins and virtual instruments almost exclusively.

I upgraded my old projects using the default method: I just opened my old projects in Logic X and a dialog box appears asking you if you want to convert the it to Logic X format. This creates an new Logic X project leaving your original intact. 

Most of the time this process works well and sometimes I had to tweak some things (with very old projects with external synths that I don't have anymore).

I have to mention that most of my projects are relatively simple and I use Logic's plugins and virtual instruments almost exclusively.

Great! My projects are similar. Relatively simple, and so far I've been using nothing but Logic's plugins. Sounds like the old projects should convert without too many problems.

Thanks for your reply and feedback denitronik! Much appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I have a FireWire duet with my 2011 MacBook. And it works great. It is Apogee quality.

I have an old Apogee AD8000 that's 20 years old and it is totally reliable if that's an indicator of their quality. I've always had good responses from Apogee support. They may stop making drivers for newer OS but they will still try to help.

How do the converters and preamps on the mk1 Duet compare to the newer second generation Duets? The price difference is hard to resist and I have an empty Firewire port I never use on my MacBook Pro. Around $160 for a mk1 Duet versus around $600 for the newer Apogee supported Duets. I was thinking of picking up an original Duet finally to replace the Presonus AudioBox I have now. 

Just picked up an Apogee Duet Firewire tonight for $149 in very good condition. Sound is absolutely amazing. However, I do hear some occasional crackling noises. Sort of like a popping sound when playing Logic projects. I set the buffer to 1024 samples and it still makes the popping sound. Any workarounds? Using 10.12.6. 

Thanks. 

Hmmm. I had one of those. I had to keep re-setting Core Audio with Logic 9 due to the crackling. The same thing was going on with iTunes, and I'd have to re-boot the computer for it to stop for a while. Also, I found the bass to be a bit muddy and accentuated, at least in comparison to my RME FF802. I don't know how it works with 10.11+, but earlier OSes made it unbearable. And yeah, I had the most up to date drivers from Apogee. Another thing was that the graphic didn't work for volume, etc. I had to judge things just by ear. I wouldn't buy one of these things again.

Glad to hear others don't currently have these issues, though.

No problems here with my Firewire Duet with High Sierra.

Maybe I have an edge because there is an actual Firewire port on my old MPB?

I have a Firewire port as well on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro. Duet wouldn't work with Sierra...tried everything. No problems whatsoever with El Capitan though. Strange. 

Any problems with Sierra? You said you are using the Duet with High Sierra now.