Help Producing a Techno Style Sub Bass

Hey Everyone!

I am fairly new to the producing game and I am consistently on the hunt for new techniques and tips to help shape the sound that I want to produce. I have hit a wall when it comes to making a sub bass for my tracks. The sound I am looking to produce is similar to:

The driving, deep and dark sounding bass that follows the kick in these tracks is what I am striving to accomplish and help push my music in the way I would like to see it go.

I understand sidechaining and I am aware that it is definitely required to make this sound. Where I need clarity is in compression, eq, filtering, reverb and even what plug ins and instruments to use in order to make this sound as I simply cannot get close to it despite researching different methods of accomplishing it.

Any help is much appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you! :D

Cheers

Cheers for your very insightful and thoughtful response mate, Ill be sure to take everything you have said on board. I didn’t realise providing two very clear examples of what I was looking for would be described as being ‘deliberately vague’ and I am baffled as to how I was ‘baiting’ people in but you are clearly some sort of wizard with music production and I respect your wise words of wisdom in helping me…….

As a matter of fact, yes I have been playing around recently and still struggling to get the right sound. I have been layering bass synths of different waveforms, e.g. layering sine with saw then using a filter cut off to get rid of the higher tones from the saw. Also been using various effects like the bit crusher here but to no real avail.

I have mainly been using the ESM/ ES1 to mess around with but not getting a dark/deep enough sound like in my above examples. I had a go with Sylenth and Massive too but still trying to work my way around effectively using them.

You able to shed some wisdom now mate? Is this enough progression for you up there on your high horse?

Bear in mind mate, this is a forum for people to discuss ideas and help other people. Condescending, rude and cheeky responses like yours above are just plain uncool and make you look pretty stupid I’m afraid.

Don’t bother replying unless its to help, this is no place for petty arguments.

Cheers.

Did you stop trying? Lost interest? 2 YouTube searches and gave up? Unlike some, I'm interested in helping a student who shows they want to learn.

1. Have you read anything h since on the subject?techniques?

2. Have you started any logic projects to apply techniques? Love to hear examples of your attempts.

Or did you just post 2 songs by other artists and stared at your logic forum post until someone replied? Not making any other attempts on your side to achieve your "goal"?

Look mate, I am not trying to annoy you. Just looking for some advice. Not as if I reached out to you personally either, I see people post with far less info than what I have and who receive some fantastic and sound advice, hence why I created an account and posted about a topic I was struggling with and looking for hints and tips.

I have plenty more examples that I can share with you and yes of course I have been reading up on it and trying to learn on the subject of sub bass but I don't see why this effects you sharing some knowledge with me. I have stated a couple of techniques I have tried already and what synths I have been playing with as well. The point of posting was to be helped not lectured.

I have no saved attempts as I am just messing around while on holiday, but I can try throw something together in the next few days and share it here if that helps?

"Quite possibly," if I might dare to say ... koff koff ... "the point at which you might have 'taken rather a nose-dive off the bus' :o ... is the point at which you neglected to share with us what you(!) (so far ...) had done.

"Go ahead ... let us hear :shock: 'your tracks, so far.'"

Say, minus any "sub-bass."

Then ... present to us(!) the very-specific (and, "answerable(!)") question: ... "how do you suggest that I might 'add sub-bass' to this?"

Presto ... now we have a familiar, mutual problem to solve. .... now we are "on board" with you ...