BeatNotes: MainStage Automater plugin

Hello all - hope I'm posting in the right place!

So, after some discussion and trial-and-error on this thread, I decided to make my first plugin.

It's quite a simple plugin, which is why I'm surprised it doesn't already exist... basically, you stick it into MainStage and so some setting up, and then you can configure it to output midi message X on bar Y. The idea being that you just press Play on Mainstage, and play along to the click - when you reach the chorus you'd have a PC queued up and automagically MainStage will change the patch you're using to your chorus one. Hooray!

It's by no means ready for a public release yet (It works but values are hardcoded right now) but I just wanted to test the waters a bit and see who would want it, and then what features you may want? Currently I'm planning to just make it super-basic, you'll probably be able to queue up about 12 messages, and define which bar they should be sent on. I figure that's more than enough, because you can always just have a second instance running on the other patch if you need more.

Is there anything people would want other than Program Change? would being able to configure the MIDI channel be helpful? Anything else you can think of that would be nice? Let me know!

(Also, the plugin will be freeware, but donations accepted ;D)

As mentioned in your original thread, I'm definitely interested in this. PC would be my biggest need but being able to send any CC and MIDI note would also be valuable...it'd be handy to be able to send other commands to toggle mute buttons, change volume level etc and I use those other MIDI commands for that. However, I understand that you're trying to keep it simple and PC would be enough. Great work!!

In a perfect world, it would be great to have a timeline like in a DAW, where you could draw midi notes, add PC messages, and also draw in CC envelopes

Also, it would be great to have the option to sync with the playback plug-in. 

In my use case, we send continuous CC messages to change the brightness of stage lights, which must be in sync with a recorded click and sometimes backing tracks.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I, as well as many on the MainStage fb page, are interested in this type of plugin! This is the missing link in the program.  I've been searching a couple of days before I found you and now that I have... could you give us a progress report? Will it be finished soon?

Thank you for working on this very important plugin.

• 3 months later...

Hey, I don't know how much progress you made on this. 

I ran into the same issue a few years ago. My solution was running Logic alongside Mainstage, and then eventually just switching to Logic. 

However, I'm keen on trying my hand at a MIDI script like you describe. Any luck?

(For reference, I made a YouTube tutorial series on how I automated everything: