macOS Sierra - Not supported Software and Hardware

macOS Sierra - Not supported Software and Hardware

It's that time of year again.

Today marks the release of Apple's latest Operating System.

As many of you know, some applications and drivers are bound to break.

This thread is meant to be a quick overview of the things that aren't ready for OS X 10.12.

Please post your findings and I'll update this first post with the latest info.

Software that needs to be updated

• Plugin Alliance. - "...In our qualification of Apple’s new Sierra OS (v 10.12) we have discovered serious problems with many Plugin Alliance products that primarily affect customers who use the Audio Unit format. Our developers are working hard on a solution but at this time we are recommending that all Mac based Plugin Alliance customers do not upgrade to Sierra. We will continue our qualification efforts and expect to announce full support in the near future. We greatly appreciate your patience while we complete our qualification process."

• Apogee. - Distortion on input at 48k with original ONE on OS 10.12 Sierra:
    There is a known issue with the original Apogee ONE (the smaller all-black model, not the iOS version or the newer silver version) where input distortion appears when you are at 48k and using Mac OS 10.12 Sierra. 
    This issue should be addressed in a future update for the ONE software.

Workaround

Don’t install the Apogee ONE software. The issue doesn’t happen if you don’t have the Apogee ONE software installed. You can access almost all of the functionality of the ONE in Audio MIDI Setup, System Preferences Sound, or Logic. If you have already installed the Apogee ONE software, you can run the Uninstaller included in the Apogee ONE software package.

• Universal Audio. - UAD v8.7 software is not fully tested or compatible with macOS Sierra, and we recommend that you do not install this update until compatibility is announced. We are currently working on testing and qualifying macOS Sierra for a future UAD software update.

Update: UAD v8.7.4s (available here) allows Apollo and UAD-2 hardware and software to operate with macOS Sierra on Thunderbolt-equipped Macs. There are currently no known compatibility issues with UAD v8.7.4s and macOS Sierra.

Apollo FireWire operation under macOS Sierra is coming in the very near future. Full testing and qualification of macOS Sierra will arrive in early 2017.

macOS 10.12 Sierra Compatibility Info – Universal Audio Support Home

The current workaround is to disable SIP http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

• Roland. - When updated to macOS Sierra (10.12), the following products become inoperable.
    We are currently working to prepare and verify a driver for macOS Sierra (10.12).
    We ask that you please refrain from updating the operating system until a driver for macOS Sierra (10.12) is listed.
    We apologize for any inconvenience.
    • BK-3, BK-5, BK-7m, BK-9
    • Digital Piano Driver
    • DR-880
    • E-A7
    • FR-1x, FR-1xb, FR-8x, FR-8xb
    • JUNO-Di
    • M-200i, M-300, M-480
    • R-1000
    • RD-300NX, RD-700NX, RD-800
    • SBX-1
    • OCTAPAD SPD-30
    • XPS-10

Here's the official link:

Compatibility with macOS Sierra (10.12)

The current workaround is to disable SIP http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

• Lennar Digital. - "We have noticed the problem running Sylenth1 in OSX Sierra and are working on a fix."

Discontinued hardware and software

- May still work but has no further support. For further details contact the manufacturer.

• Native Instruments. - "The following discontinued devices will not be supported on macOS Sierra, or future versions of macOS."

• TRAKTOR:
      First generations of TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 and TRAKTOR AUDIO 2

And:
      TRAKTOR AUDIO 8 DJ
      TRAKTOR AUDIO 4 DJ
      TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 DJ

• KOMPLETE:

AUDIO KONTROL 1
      GUITAR RIG MOBILE I/O
      GUITAR RIG SESSION I/O
      RIG KONTROL 2
      RIG KONTROL 3
      KORE Controller
      KORE 2 Controller

Software that has been fixed

• Roland. - The following hardware has new macOS Sierra compatible drivers.
    • A-49, A-88
    • A-300PRO, A-500PRO, A-800PRO
    • UM-1G, UM-2G, UM-3G
    • UM-ONE, UM-ONE mk2

Here's the official link:

Compatibility with macOS Sierra (10.12)

UAD 8.7 is not compatible, driver will not load at startup.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/210208926-macOS-10-12-Sierra-Compatibility-Info

Roland A-800 PRO MIDI Keyboard Controller, driver will not load and it is not available in Audio Midi Setup.

BTW Disabling SIP will not fix Plugin Alliance AUs.

Edited by scottkrk

sylenth1 did not run for me during the sierra beta-testing...
UAD 8.7 is not compatible, driver will not load at startup...

Roland A-800 PRO MIDI Keyboard Controller, driver will not load and it is not available in Audio Midi Setup...

Sylenth1 (64 bit) is NOT working in Sierra.

Thanks guys! Updated the thread with your info.

sylenth1 did not run for me during the sierra beta-testing (and i abandoned it; it was my oldest 3rd-party plugin; time for a change); so not sure, but worth finding out if it's now working (or not)...

i asked lennarddigital about this during beta testing; they told me apple needed to fix it (but every other plugin i use worked/works). hopefully, they're talking to apple, and something is being done.

i asked lennarddigital about this during beta testing; they told me apple needed to fix it (but every other plugin i use worked/works). hopefully, they're talking to apple, and something is being done.

Hmmm... reminds me of the time last year when Native Instruments had problems when El Capitan was first released... or was it a different company. They said that Apple had to fix the problem.

sylenth1 did not run for me during the sierra beta-testing...
UAD 8.7 is not compatible, driver will not load at startup...

Roland A-800 PRO MIDI Keyboard Controller, driver will not load and it is not available in Audio Midi Setup...

Thanks guys! Updated the thread with your info.

No problem Eric!

I wonder what's the (compulsive) rush to update their OS every year, while the former one still needs ironing?

I don't understand Apple (and other software companies) did not grasp yet that what the majority of users are after is simplicity and reliability.

outside of the commercial constraints (new macs, new OS= new sales), new mac OS's are built on previous mac OS's, so they are ironing... and adding new features.

sierra seems, to me, to be slightly 'lighter' (read "faster") than el cap, and, since the last beta, incredibly stable. and i am also assuming that that ironing matters. the point updates (10.11.5, 10.11.6) are small steps, the new OS is a big step. but it's not like they've abandoned their core qualities and this is all-new... it's an advancement over the previous OS (at least in theory).

I guess you are partly right...

However, some (many) issues are still lingering on, while added new features bring new issues  piling up on top of the previous ones, besides incompatibility problem, making users teeth grinding ...

By experience, I too noticed that installing a new OS yields generally into a faster running computer, but I think that most of that apparent (and temporary) cpu performance improvement is often due to some system prefs features resets, inherently occurring during the new OS installation procedure...

I guess you are partly right...

However, some (many) issues are still lingering on, while added new features bring new issues  piling up on top of the previous ones, besides incompatibility problem, making users teeth grinding ...

By experience, I too noticed that installing a new OS yields generally into a faster running computer, but I think that most of that apparent (and temporary) cpu performance improvement is often due to some system prefs features resets, inherently occurring during the new OS installation procedure...

no matter what version of the OS, or what point version.... some people have problems that others don't. some have great experiences, some have bad experiences... because there are so many variables: the hardware, our interfaces, the apps we're running, the processes we run. etc etc. etc. still (and it is early on), 10.12 seems pretty good; maybe better than el capitan. in my experience, 10.11.6 and 10.6.8 were exceptional moments (again, just my experience). so far, 10.12 seems to be in that group. time will tell...

Hi guys, what follows is not strictly related to music software or hardware, but I believe it's good to share it here anyway, as many of us folks work with multiple displays @ high resolutions.

In a nutshell, Sierra is troublesome with external displays and prevents using resolutions higher than 1080p, which will be a PITA with large screens. See there for instance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/53rfla/macos_sierra_external_display_resolution/?sort=old

I would guess this will probably be fixed with a next update.

I don't understand Apple (and other software companies) did not grasp yet that what the majority of users are after is simplicity and reliability.

Well my dear friend you're wrong! At least about simplicity ! iPhone users wants features, features and features and a good camera. Integration between their APPLE devices is what Apple wants to offer. iPhones, iPad and soon, iCar. Integration,integration and integration. Desktop computers, euh, well, no more marketing strategies toward those products. 

But you should be fine with ELcap for a while, as we were ok with Yosemite. :D

Well my dear friend you're wrong! At least about simplicity ! iPhone users wants features, features and features and a good camera. Integration between their APPLE devices is what Apple wants to offer. iPhones, iPad and soon, iCar. Integration,integration and integration. Desktop computers, euh, well, no more marketing strategies toward those products. 

But you should be fine with ELcap for a while, as we were ok with Yosemite. :D

really, i think it's the pros who want 'simplicity and reliability' most; i don't care about siri on my mac, what i really want is a fast, stable, and (mostly) invisible OS; it's the apps i care about; so how logic X runs is more important than new OS features. so (sadly) i think stratquebec is right.