Live multitracking

Hey guys, recently I tried recording 32 tracks of live audio simultaneously into my Mac mini (specs listed below) and was unable to capture more than 17 before Logic X told me my disk was too slow. Now, I've done the research and I've ordered an external hard drive that spins at 7200rpm and is powered by USB 3.0 and/or Thunderbolt, as this was what has been recommended to me. I was just wondering, would Bus powered drives have a harder time than a drive with its own dedicated power supply? Also, do transfer rates have any huge effect on the multitracking process? The drive I ordered says it gets about 130mbps but I wasn't sure if that will effect my recording performance much or not, if so I'd like to find another drive.

Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to waste time or money on a device that isn't going to help me accomplish my goal. Thanks so much!

Sorry, no hands-on experience here, just two hints:

Bus-powering won't reduce transfer rates, there are separate lines for that in your cable.

And here is a simple calculation: Assuming you record 32 channels with a bit depth of 16 bits and a sample rate of 44100 samples per second you will end up with about 23 megabits per second (and proportionally more for higher bit depths/sample rates). 130mbps should be enough, but is it really write speed? Is it peak (as long as the HD's cache isn't filled completely) or continuous?

• 3 weeks later...