How to remove vocals from already rendered track in Logic X???

Hi,

If a track has already been bounced to mp3, how do I remove the vocals from the bounced mp3 track in Logic X? I'm just curious for personal use. It must be possible because karaoke machines can do it...correct? Or, is it like trying to unscramble an egg...impossible I mean...once a track has already been rendered to mp3?

Thanks. 

There's no really good way, especially if the vocals have significant stereo-spreading fx (such as reverb or delay) active in a non mono-centered fashion, and/or if the vocals are not themselves panned dead-center.

In case the material has centered, dry enough vocals, then import back the mixdown into Logic on an empty audio track, insert a Gain plug-in, and enable the invert phase button on either the L or R (not both!) channel. This should more or less null everything that is centered (among which, the vocals), only leaving the L- or R-specific (i.e. non-centered) audio signal.

Doing so, you may well null more than the vocals (e.g. bass, kick, possibly snare if centered as well...). If that's the case you have to do this using parallel tracks along with bandwidth EQing, to for instance leave the bottom end of the signal (e.g. below 200 Hz, where the bass and kick sit) unprocessed, while processing only the bandwidth in which the vocals main frequencies lie.

This is most probably going to be less than perfect, or even close to impossible, depending on the material. I think that most decent karaoke tracks are actually remixes where the vocals were muted from within the mix itself.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Trying this myself now that I know how. Of course the results still leave a ghost vocal. Tried eq but removes too much other info.

Is there a logic plugin that can do the opposite of winning something centered or a specific frequency range?

I have a feeling this may have been recorded all in one room with separate mics as the L and R channels are slightly different.

• 1 month later...