MacPro 6,1 vs MacPro 5,1

Friends,

Hope all is well.

The local Apple store in my area has an exchange offer, where in they will take my MacPro5,1 and give me a MacPro6,1 in exchange.( with some cash from my end)

I currently use Apogee ONE as my interface, and though its performance is stellar, Reamping and DI via my LittleLabs REdEyE is a pain.

I am currently on the look out for an interface, and since firewire is on the decline, i think that thunderbolt is the way to go.( i also intend to purchase monitors later this year)

I am primarily a solo act, who composes music at home and as such i do not need multiple ins and outs.

With that in mind, should i make the switch?

I have a PCIe SSD installed on my MacPro 5,1...

dinesh

The thing is, the trash can mac pro is Apple's latest flop, because they gonna come out with a redesigned machine.

I think you're wasting money on that machine with 2 graphic cards that you're never gonna use.

The flash storage on that machine is very expensive as well as the ram.

Better off buying a brand new iMac and selling your mac pro on craigslist.

• 5 months later...

I know this is a late response, but I am presently thinking about my upgrade path from Mac Pro 5,1 (also with PCIe SSD) as well.  For posterity, here's my take:

Presently I use an 828mkII, and I want more I/O (and perhaps higher audio specs).  I want a replacement interface that sounds great, is stable and future-friendly.  I think MOTU's AVB interfaces fit the bill really well, with USB and Thunderbolt connectivity.  Their USB 2.0 driver supports up to 64 audio channels, which is more than I need.  So I'll use USB for now, and perhaps Thunderbolt in the future.

IMHO there is no reason in the world to get rid of a Mac Pro 5,1 tower unless you desperately need Thunderbolt (or a retina display) right now.