Headphone mixes on MOTU 828 mkII USB

I am trying to get a headphone mix on my system, so I send some channels to another bus which will be sent to a different output. Just as the book says it should be done. I see the meters moving, I see the dots on the display of the 828 indicating that it receives data for Outputs 3 and 4, but the headphones on 3 and 4 don't receive anything.

I can't imagine I am the only one using a 828, and I can't imagine I am the only one doing a headphone mix in here. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

I've asked over at MOTUnation but there is just one guy who got it working by looping back through digital in and outputs. I can't imagine there is a simpler way...

Thanks.

Oops, that was kinda important to know. Sorry 'bout that.

I've patched all the analog outputs on the back to the inputs of a Presonus HP60 Headphone Mixer. The main output is connected to the main input on the HP60 and that is all I hear on any phone output. When I disconnect the main it will be silent.

Don't connect the Main outs if you want independence on the individual outputs of your Motu.

Use the sends in Logic to send to Auxes, and these go to output 3-4 on the Motu. That is one headphone mix going to the Presonus inputs.

If you want more different mixes, use other pairs and connect those to the Presonus.

Sorry, doesn't work. I've taken the cable out completely (both MOTU and Presonus ends),

????

What's the point in taking all the cables out? That will give you silence for sure!

Ouput 3 and 4 in the back of the Motu has to go via TRS cables to the physical 1 and 2 input of the Presonus you have.

Did you try other output pairs to see if signal is getting to the Presonus?

Sometimes the numbers in the back of the Motu are not necessarily the correct outputs numbers in the software.

I've tried them all, it could be that I misconnected them, so just in case I checked out all of them. They were all silent. I've also tried other Output pairs in Logic (5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12) up until the point that I ran out of analog outputs. With the last I meant that the dots weren't flashing on the MOTU. Everything plays The Sound Of Silence.

You need to take a look at your Owners Manual PDF. I looked mine over and for my

828mk3 Hybrid it mentions the headphones use Outputs 11 and 12 at 1X Sample Rate.

I read it, and the only thing my manual tells me is I am able to directly route an input to an output without Logic interfering (CueMix FX). As this is not what I am looking for I moved on from the written word.

What I am looking for is simply assigning something to Output 3-4 in Logic and having one dedicated headphone mix, assign a different mix to Output 5-6 and have another one for a different singer, etc.

That shouldn't be too hard I guess.

See if this helps

It is talking about a different DAW but should point you in the right direction

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/how-do-i-hear-the-output-of-my-daw-on-more-than-one-bus-in-cuemix

I am not sure if that is the route to go, but I will try it out this weekend as that is the first time I am able to do something. The reason I doubt it is that I understood that the input will be transfered to the bus straight away without going through Logic. As a vocalist that would be fine, but probably not as a guitarist relying on a bunch of virtual stompboxes in Amplitube or so... Then again.... Would I mic him? Or plug him in? 

Just looking at the front and back of the Presonus.

You got input A and B left and right. Those are meant for 2 stereo mixes coming from your session.

These have their own mix blend control in the front between the two sources.

Then you have the Stereo Ext IN in the back for single tracks, not stereo pairs.

So which individual tracks do you want to send separately?

Or are you just gonna use a stereo pair and use the bus send level?

Just looking at the front and back of the Presonus.

You got input A and B left and right. Those are meant for 2 stereo mixes coming from your session.

These have their own mix blend control in the front between the two sources.

Then you have the Stereo Ext IN in the back for single tracks, not stereo pairs.

So which individual tracks do you want to send separately?

Or are you just gonna use a stereo pair and use the bus send level?

THANKS!!! You made me see the light with this question! lol To answer I had to open the manuals of both the 828 and the Presonus, and to answer the question I came upon

Stereo Ext. In. The Stereo External In jack accepts a stereo .” TRS plug and is

used for connecting a third, channel-specific Mix. This is commonly used for a

direct input of the artist’s instrument – allowing the channel’s Ext. In knob to act as

a “more me” control.

It does help to open the Ext In on the front so you can mix it the two sound streams! In true Homer Simpson style: "D' OH!!!".

Sent the vocals to Output 3-4 in Logic, muted the other vocal bus with the backings. Play, and open the Ext In knob. Bingo! I had a singer in my ears.