New iMac Pro announced! $5,000 – Arrives December

Imagine what they'll do to the next generation Mac Pro....

i think this IS the next-gen pro...

Nah man.... Tim Cook said himself that they are working on the new Mac Pro release is slated for 2018/2019. It will use some sort of 'modular' approach.. not sure what that means exactly. Judging from what I saw in the Keynote and what they did to the iMac Pro, it's probably going to be really crazy. 

Agree with the above. Even a crazy spec junkie like me thinks that is overkill for even the most intensive Logic sessions. Maxed out new regular imac looks more than fine. Just wish it was in this new color scheme. That would be super cool, but certainly not $5k+ cool.

PS: Can I use all my Thunderbolt gear without hassles on the new iMac Pro anyway? Without having to spend again a lot of money to upgrade the external gear?

Gotta use the Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter.

yup another $100 just spent..

No actual pricing details on the upgrades for the iMac Pro. But yeah, 9-10k for the maxxed 128 GB sounds about right - when you factor in all those dongles. More for external HD cases etc. for more drives.

For music the screen resolution is totally unnecessary and the non-user-serviceable HD and RAM should be illegal.

Same with the MBP and iOS products. The non-changeable battery should be illegal.

(I have avoided buying shares in Apple because I disagree with their business practices)

Personally I don't feel like I need a $5,000 Mac at the center of my studio. It looks like Apple feels the same as I don't see a single screenshot of the new iMac Pro with Logic displayed on the screen. So... a machine for Final Cut Pro editors? 

They're putting more emphasis on the GPU on those iMac Pro's, so yeah, video users definitely targeted, and could possibly be aimed at 3D game developers/VR content creators also?

Wonder how hot those things get when under load.

It's also quite a smart strategy in appearing to make the $2.5-3k models more 'affordable'.

Edit: Is it really true that you can't get to the HDD or Ram?  If so that is shocking!!

Me thinks , with the iMacPro-Models Apple  is targeting the Augmented Reality ( not sure if this is  the right term ??) Developers . Their future apps/games will be necessary to provide  the must-have-content in Apples App-Store for the next generation iPhones , iPads , i-whatevers ... . Apple needs content that makes/keeps  its iPhones attractive.

Personally I don't feel like I need a $5,000 Mac at the center of my studio. It looks like Apple feels the same as I don't see a single screenshot of the new iMac Pro with Logic displayed on the screen. So... a machine for Final Cut Pro editors? 

They're putting more emphasis on the GPU on those iMac Pro's, so yeah, video users definitely targeted, and could possibly be aimed at 3D game developers/VR content creators also?

Wonder how hot those things get when under load.

It's also quite a smart strategy in appearing to make the $2.5-3k models more 'affordable'.

Edit: Is it really true that you can't get to the HDD or Ram?  If so that is shocking!!

I think you can do the RAM yourself (at least you can on my 2011 iMac) but to do anything else internal, you have to remove the screen with special tools.  There are videos online how to do it, but I wouldn't say it's user-serviceable.  

I spent almost $10,000 (1 TB SSD, 6 core, 64GIG memory, 2 4bay Thunderbolt RAID systems, 4 K monitor) in 2015 MacPro.. Only to be so discouraged to see USB C and Thunderbolt 3 arrive less than a year later.. 

I waited 2 years to buy a new Mac Pro,  then realized Mac Pro's had fallen to the bottom of Apple to do list.. 

Right now, I'm trying to run up to 30 virtual instruments in real time..  Projects run up to 140 instruments with 30 minute + music.  No way I can keep that in all real time virtual instruments (128 GIG memory next?)

A real strain on a 6 core, 64 gig 2015 mac pro..  Frustrating...  First Mac Pro had defective Thunderbolt lanes. 1/2 dozen calls, joint letters from OWC and Softraid, and mention of lawsuit to get Apple to acknowledge there was a timing issue on the Thunderbolt lane.  Mac would drop Thunderbolt for 1/4 second..  risking writing drives a catastrophic failure.  Finally Apple replaced everything, computer  RAID systems, adaptors, etc. They did resolve problem and write a patch to correct it. 

When I call Apple or go to Apple stores, I have to correct them 2 - 3 times, I have a Mac Pro, NOT a Mac Pro Laptop..  Then they act like (why would I buy a Mac Pro?)..  Yes, I understand from a business standpoint, I watches, i phones, I pads are the money makers.. 

I feel abandoned by Apple..   The external connectors are not military spec,  the least little jostle, and HDMI plug falls out.. Plus I have to have adaptors everywhere.  The external connectors are packed so close together.. you need child's hands to access them, without knocking out other plugs, when dealing with them.  

Yes It looks sexy..  But it's so tiny so I have have a fair amount of space around it to plug everything else needed..  

I've used Apple computers since 1980, and Logic since 1990..   The double exponential jump in price for top of the line  Macs, is really hard to swallow, especially when they seem in such a frenzy to jump to the next up to the minute technology.. 

Now for the vast majority of users heres, a laptop or iMac fits the bill..  

I spent almost $10,000 (1 TB SSD, 6 core, 64GIG memory, 2 4bay Thunderbolt RAID systems, 4 K monitor) in 2015 MacPro.. Only to be so discouraged to see USB C and Thunderbolt 3 arrive less than a year later.. 

I waited 2 years to buy a new Mac Pro,  then realized Mac Pro's had fallen to the bottom of Apple to do list.. 

Right now, I'm trying to run up to 30 virtual instruments in real time..  Projects run up to 140 instruments with 30 minute + music.  No way I can keep that in all real time virtual instruments (128 GIG memory next?)

A real strain on a 6 core, 64 gig 2015 mac pro..  Frustrating...  First Mac Pro had defective Thunderbolt lanes. 1/2 dozen calls, joint letters from OWC and Softraid, and mention of lawsuit to get Apple to acknowledge there was a timing issue on the Thunderbolt lane.  Mac would drop Thunderbolt for 1/4 second..  risking writing drives a catastrophic failure.  Finally Apple replaced everything, computer  RAID systems, adaptors, etc. They did resolve problem and write a patch to correct it. 

When I call Apple or go to Apple stores, I have to correct them 2 - 3 times, I have a Mac Pro, NOT a Mac Pro Laptop..  Then they act like (why would I buy a Mac Pro?)..  Yes, I understand from a business standpoint, I watches, i phones, I pads are the money makers.. 

I feel abandoned by Apple..   The external connectors are not military spec,  the least little jostle, and HDMI plug falls out.. Plus I have to have adaptors everywhere.  The external connectors are packed so close together.. you need child's hands to access them, without knocking out other plugs, when dealing with them.  

Yes It looks sexy..  But it's so tiny so I have have a fair amount of space around it to plug everything else needed..  

I've used Apple computers since 1980, and Logic since 1990..   The double exponential jump in price for top of the line  Macs, is really hard to swallow, especially when they seem in such a frenzy to jump to the next up to the minute technology.. 

Now for the vast majority of users heres, a laptop or iMac fits the bill..  

but it's the nature of tech to move forward. i remember when the mac abandoned scsi, and everyone with $4000 umax scanners had to ditch them.  tech changes. so what you buy in 2005 will be, in computer years, very old in 2015. etc. the imac pro is expensive, and, 5-10 years from now, will be old tech. 

ad infinitum...