Anyone Own the Zoom TAC-8 Interface?

Hey y'all,

As of lately I've been comparing thunderbolt interfaces. The Zoom TAC-8 has caught my eye for the price point. But I haven't been able to find any real first hand experiences with the interface.

So instead I picked up the Focusrite Clarett 4pre. Though it's a very lame reason, the 4pre bummed me out when I learned I couldn't rackmount it into my studio rack.

Now I'm considering returning the 4pre for either the Focusrite 8pre, or Zoom TAC-8. The 8pre is a bit rich for my stomach, but I'd love to know if anyone has any first hand experiences.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, since your asking about the Clarett 8pre I can tell you that I have the 8preX, had it now for close to two years, got mine in late 2015. For my setup its the ideal tool for the studio, 8 XLR mic in, 8 line in and 8 smux 24/96 ADAT interface works perfect. The fact is when you have invested into decent Mic Pre amps its always beneficial to run them in through a line input, bypassing the combo preamps in the single rack version 8pre. Not everyone likes spending such a great deal on quality, although nowadays there are many very good and affordable Mic preamps available, I have a pair of Warm Audio WA12's and a pair of GAP pre-73 jr's that are stock, you can get them very reasonably priced and add a great deal of character to your tracks. The only gripe I have with the 8preX is the volume control, at the 12 o'clock position its very sensitive and does not increase volume in a linear fashion. Its nothing major, but still can be an unexpected annoyance that you just get used to after a while. I have read a great deal of negative things about the early Zoom thunderbolt products, such as the Tac-2 I think? Not sure if I got that right, but I would see if there are any reviews on YouTube for the TAC-8, it could be decent? I have no experience with it or have never seriously researched it. Hope this helps!

Bret

• 6 months later...

I would avoid any Zoom audio interface if you're using Logic Pro X. The way Zoom's interfaces communicates with their bundled MixEfx software makes working with MIDI automation or step input via MIDI impossible, whether you make use of MicEfx or not. Zoom's "workaround" is to unplug their interface. This has been a problem for years and Zoom seems not to care.

Details are here: