a month of pro tools...

i needed to export wav files from pro tools for an EP; so i got a one-month subscription to the app.  had a hell-of a time (i've done many PT sessions, but always with an engineer).

configuring outputs, working with the GUI. dealing with tiny windows, trying to track things down (no pun intended). anyway, i can see how PT is a great tool... for engineers. but for making (and mixing), am sticking to logic X. of course, it's the app i know, but still... anyone agree? (that PT is more for 'tech-oriented' engineers, and logic is more for music?)

anyway, the month is almost up. bye, avid!

PT is the digital tape machine. Always was.

Never too good for midi.

You have to enable way more things, just like you would on a physical console.

ha, yes. first session i couldn't get any sound out from these files; master volume greyed out in the audiomidi settings. took me some time to figure that out. anyway, i got what i needed, saved by the subscription model (1 month@$30)... not bad.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents: when someone who works with PT (and even those who don't) say that PT is better for mixing or this or that, I just want to punch them (no, not you hahaha). What are the requirements for mixing? Balancing volumes, EQ, compress, effects, limiting, panning, etc. So why would PT be better for that when Logic has the same tools? To be honest, every time I have to do something in PT when I go to a studio, I hate it. For me Logic is so "logical" that I can't understand PT (and I don't want to). I simply love Logic. Is PT better for engineers? Same thought. If you know Logic and you know all the ins and outs and you can make it work for you, then no DAW is better for this or for that, unless you don't have the tools. I see a lot of people saying PT is not good to make music, maybe because PT don't have enough creative tools, I guess. Again, I don't use it, so I can only say what comes to mind...

I've been working with Logic since 2007 and I consider myself a pretty good Logic user so I don't see why PT would be better for me to mix. I make, mix and master all my music inside Logic. It's simple, fast, complete (in terms of tools, shortcuts, customization, etc). If you can customize it the way you want, it's not gonna make a difference. 

But again, that's my opinion :)

One last thing: my thought about PT is that it became the standard in pretty much all studios around the world. I remember when I went to sound engineering school back in 1998, the only 2 big recording systems were Soundscape (for Windows) and then Pro Tools (for Mac). Then I guess Soundscape died (?) and Pro Tools opened up their doors to PC and it became more accessible. And I guess most studios that were using Soundscape switched to Pro Tools. That's what I think happened, I'm not sure. 

So to be honest, the trend of having Pro Tools in big studios is just that: a trend. pretty much all daws do the same, one way or another. If you have an engineer that is a master at Ableton, he/she will deliver the same results as one who's a master at PT. Maybe the only difference would be the interface used, since PT have their own modules or whatever they call it :P other than that, it's just a thing people got used to (in my opinion, of course)