Vocal processing

...and don't forget his miking technique: he keeps his distance, that also helps towards an even volume... I would not call this singing "whispery" though, the tone, though raspy, is still very defined and clear nonmetal, like a one-to-one speaking voice. He sounds a bit like a subdued version of Van Morrison here. Intimate may be a better descriptor.

The whole mix is lovely though, so open and deceptively simple.

The whole mix is lovely though, so open and deceptively simple.

I think you make an important point. You can't consider how the vocals sound without considering the whole mix. The reason the vocals sound so good is because the whole mix sounds so good. In fact, it's not just about the mix, it's about all the musicians, their play with dynamic, the songwriting, the arrangement, the orchestration... everything in its right place. 

I agree, intimate is the correct descriptor here. And I agree the musicianship and overall arrangement is huge to establishing the mood and feel of this song. My question involves a moment that can be demonstrated at 2:47. John is obviously "working the mic" when he says "waiting on the day, when these words are in stone. Those lyrics would most likely be louder in a live context. 

Obviously compression is being applied here, but does it make that much of a difference between a plugin compressor and a hardware compressor prior to hitting the DAW? Excuse my inexperience, I am a novice trying to figure all this out and have never worked with outboard gear/compressors before. I have only ever used a mic > audio interface > DAW and find digital compressors to be almost "reactive" vs "proactive" in a sense. And, while I'm sure they work great in conjunction with hardware compressors, just never seem to fit the bill. Is it possible to get that type of sound out of a simple setup such as the one I described above (straight forward mic to digital realm)?

• 2 weeks later...
I also think this is a music video. They recorded all the tracks and shoot the video. Later they applied effects and compression, automation etc to the vocal and instruments and mixed and mastered the whole thing. Later the bounced new file got synced to the video. It gives you the impression of a live performance, but it may not entirely be a live performance. Editing etc might have taken place also.