Wondering If It's Time For A New Computer

Greetings.  

I've recently been hit with a project that is a little bit more involved than anything I've done before.  My computer really can't seem to handle it.  Well, in general, my computer can't really handle that much.  It does run better, since I replaced my optical drive with an SSD and upgraded my ram.  But its still not quite making the grade.  I've read a pretty good amount on how to speed up logic over the years, and am careful to work in a way that won't bog down my CPU more than it needs to.

I wanted to get your guys' take on this situation, before I decide to buy a new laptop.

My Questions:

Is it possible that having alternative projects is slowing down my CPU?

I'm thinking about getting a used MB pro from 2014-2015, which would be a 5-6 year upgrade from my mid 2009.  Do you think this would make a difference if I placed my 8GB ram and SSD into the new computer?  For one thing, I at least could upgrade from OS X Yosemite if I got a newer computer.  I'm not sure if that would make a difference in how Logic runs, though.

Any counsel would be supreme!

I guess your MB has an intel core duo 2?

Remember that in all the new laptop computers since 2013, you cannot upgrade the hardware. You have to buy it with the specs it has.

So if you want to upgrade the Ram and internal HD, your only option for a used laptop is a non-retina 15-inch 2012 with an i7. I have one of those and it's great.

Hey, thanks for the replies guys.

Didn't know that about laptops since 2013... good to know!  Yes, I was looking at an i7 MB Pro. 

The projects giving me grief... I'm recording audio, running 3rd party VI's.  But even after I bounce out all the VI's to audio, still giving me trouble.  I delete all unused audio, make sure I'm not overloading with unneccessary plugins, and I use an external drive for sample libraries.  I used to use an external drive for projects too, but went back to running them off of my computer's SSD.

The projects giving me grief... I'm recording audio, running 3rd party VI's.

That means your computer cannot handle the size of your projects anymore.

You can try to minimize Logic's memory footprint by reducing the Undo Steps in General preferences.

I would start looking for a used 2012 quad-core i7 15-inch. You can find these for 500-600 bucks on craigslist.