Am I doing the right thing re: storage / workflow?

Go to solution Solved by stardustmedia,

Hi.

So far I've had everything on my internal MacBook SSD (I know this is bad ...) so is this the best way forward? Mainly for Media Composition.

Macbook SSD 256GB = Logic Pro DAW (including Logic libraries) and OSX

External SSD 1TB = Sample Libraries (EWQL)

External SSD 1TB = Sample Libraries (Symphobia e.t.c. & Kontakt Libraries)

External 1TB HDD = Logic Projects 

External 4TB HDD = Back-Up of Everything??

PS, should Kontakt itself stay on the MacBook?

Hi.

So far I've had everything on my internal MacBook SSD (I know this is bad ...) so is this the best way forward? Mainly for Media Composition.

Macbook SSD 256GB = Logic Pro DAW (including Logic libraries) and OSX

External SSD 1TB = Sample Libraries (EWQL)

External SSD 1TB = Sample Libraries (Symphobia e.t.c. & Kontakt Libraries)

External 1TB HDD = Logic Projects 

External 4TB HDD = Back-Up of Everything??

PS, should Kontakt itself stay on the MacBook?

Yup, this looks good. All your AU plugins including your Kontakt AU plugin should stay on your MacBook SSD.

• Solution

Yup, that almost like I do it. 

Plugins should stay on the system disc. On the other hand, I never saw a possibility to move them anyway. Don't bother about that, their size is usually not an issue. 

One thing though, about the backup. Make sure you have your backup OFF-site. If your studio burns, that backup disc there won't be of any help ;) 

Here's what I do:

- 2 HDDs

- When I leave, start backup on Disc-1

- Next day I remove Disc-1, plug in Disc-2, take Disc-1 with me when I leave

- Next day vice versa

- The projects I'm working on, are on Dropbox, so always backup-ed (backupped?)

- Plus on top I do a manual copy of the changed projects of that day to an external USB-disc, just in case I go offline and cannot connect to Dropbox. 

so always backup-ed (backupped?)

I believe the correct way of saying this is "backed-up" 

:lol:

I used to use Crashplan Home for all of my backups, but they decided to ditch the Home plan so I've migrated over to BackBlaze which is really great. $50 a year for unlimited storage/volumes. Everything is fully automated so I'm really not thinking about/doing anything. 

so always backup-ed (backupped?)

I believe the correct way of saying this is "backed-up" 

:lol:

I used to use Crashplan Home for all of my backups, but they decided to ditch the Home plan so I've migrated over to BackBlaze which is really great. $50 a year for unlimited storage/volumes. Everything is fully automated so I'm really not thinking about/doing anything. 

Just make sure you have a copy, in case you go offline and you're in need of a backup ;)

Just make sure you have a copy, in case you go offline and you're in need of a backup ;)

Absolutely! I have the originals in their drives and a hard drive for backups for the files I need immediate access to. The files that I don't/won't need to access immediately I just keep in the Cloud. I also have a Time Machine backup. Between everything, I think I can rest easy  8-)

Absolutely! I have the originals in their drives and a hard drive for backups for the files I need immediate access to. The files that I don't/won't need to access immediately I just keep in the Cloud. I also have a Time Machine backup. Between everything, I think I can rest easy  8-)

Yup, you can  :mrgreen: