Mixing electric counterpoint

Hi everyone, I'm hoping for a little advice, or an epiphany moment. Maybe someone could help it happen.

I'm currently mixing my version of Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint. For those of you who don't know the piece, its basically 12 guitars (2 bass guitars), and if you know Reich's music, you know that it is essentially many of the same musical figures manipulated and off set rhythmically in different ways. 

Basically a lot of guitars in the exact same register, exact same phrase playing over top of each other and creating wonderful surprise rhythms/phrases/motifs as the piece evolves. 

The problem isn't playing it, I've got that down, its mixing it.  It really sounds harsh and shrill, but most frustratingly, it just gets so muddy (not necessarily referring to frequencies around 330hz) but just not much definition in the parts. I guess in a way, that is sort of the point, but when I listen to the recorded version, it just seems so much 'lighter' and more crisp. It's difficult to explain. Obviously I've played around with panning, and volume, but I just cant seem to get a sound I'm happy with. 

Does anyone have any secret tricks that might bring out the parts, and create a lighter feeling overall. Would love some help on this project. 

Cheers.

Alex

I recorded the majority of guitars DI, with guitar rig or logics own amp simulators, and for a couple of the lines, I recorded in a fairly dry room from a small ac5 Vox tube amp, using a Bluebird mic from Blue microphones. 

Individually, the recording are fine, at least to my ears. Its just with 10 of them  within the same octave doing almost the same thing but slightly different, its a mess. I can't really even figure out, or put my finger on what's wrong. The playing is fine. The individual recordings are adequate. But when I listen to the ECM record label release, it's so much lighter than mine. Maybe I should provide an audio sample.

I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe an eq or compression trick?

here's two short samples.  I took off all the plugins. No eq or comp or anything. Except for amp simulators, which are strictly running as, well, amp simulators hehe. I'm thinking maybe to switch some of them actually. Now that I've listened to this dry again (I haven't in a while), I realize the Vox AC30 simulator, is not providing the same feeling I get when I play through my real AC30. So maybe I ought to play around with the amp simulator a bit. 

heres's the link. Cheers if you have time. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5o6w9hgfe8-OXc3OHRWUW5CVmM/view?usp=sharing