Computers

I currently have a 2008 Mac Pro 8 core with 32GB RAM.  It struggles quite a bit with large orchestral projects.  I have the chance to buy a 2012 Mac Pro running dual 6 core Intel processors at 3.46 GHz - also with 32GB RAM.  Does anyone know if this would significantly improve performance?

TIA Jay

Hi.  I would have thought 32GB RAM would be ample.  Activity Monitor doesn’t show any problem.  Yes, I use Kontakt and Play mostly with some Garritan and EXS24.  Budget won’t run to a 2015 iMac but the 2012 Mac Pro is available and reasonably priced.  What do you think?  I don’t want to buy it and find it still stumbles over complex passages.  My Play libraries are on a hybrid 2TB with 8GB SSD.  Hmmmm ....... dilemma.

Are you experiencing CPU overloads? What does your RAM usage look like within your template?

When you say that it "struggles" what are you experiencing?

You can run drives from Thunderbolt enclosures. They're not cheap, but they work well.

In general, an i7 is more suited towards real-time computing (like DAW playback, recording, virtual instruments, etc.). High clock speed is more important than cores because instructions cannot be carried out in parallel, but instead things need to be done one at a time.

Also, because of advancements in CPU architecture, processor speed isn't always 1:1, this is especially important to remember when comparing a modern i7 to those older Xeons.

Hi Monkeymonkey.  Thanks for that.  I occasionally get CPU overload or audio engine can't cope.  Often I get crackles on complex fast passages (like string scrub-ups executed by multiple tracks).  I run Hollywood strings Diamond from a hybrid HD with 8GB SSD.  But mostly I get lots of beach balls and generally slow performance and having to wait several seconds to execute a command.

Jay

Hey Jay, sounds like what you need is a modern iMac (not pro, standard with the i7). I'd get the fastest CPU you can afford. Since the 2015 4.0 is only marginally slower than the brand new 2017, I'd recommend that model (there should be refurbs from time to time). You can upgrade the RAM to 64GB (third party for a much lower price), or use your old machine as a sampler server with VEPro. Personally I prefer the simplicity of one machine.

You might want to price out any SSD Thunderbolt II enclosures or RAM upgrades beforehand, because they can be expensive.

Anyway, this recommendation is made with experience using half a dozen recent macs ('cheese grater' and 'trash can' 12 core models, Macbook pros, Minis, etc.), as well as as PCs with a dozen or more (slow) cores, and faster i7s.