A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

Pauly 6 String
Topic Author

Help request: Ethernet control of mixer/interface with MacBook/Thunderbolt dock

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi all. I have an XR18 and am trying to control it with my MacBook pro (which has a Thunderbolt dock) and an iPad (travel router) simultaneously. I would like to use ethernet for the MacBook so I can use my wifi for internet access. The iPad would connect to the travel router wirelessly.

At least that's my plan.

I have it wired like this:

1. Ethernet cable from mixer to a 5 port ethernet switch. XR18 is set to 'Ethernet'

2. Cable from switch out to OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock

3. Cable from switch out to travel router LAN input.

I have been using both simultaneously as I have planned but it appears as thought the MacBook ethernet is actually being fed from the travel router.

The mixer setup page shows the IP of the travel router.

XR setup.png
XR setup.png (90.37 KiB) Viewed 169 times

I can pull the power on the travel router and still control the mixer on the MacBook and the Thunderbolt still shows connected in Network prefs but with the IP of the Travel router that I have unpowered. However, it won't connect at all unless it does it from the travel router first.

Network Pref.png
Network Pref.png (116.97 KiB) Viewed 169 times

If I plug the mixer remote directly into the MacBook I cannot connect to mixer. It does not see it.

Looks to me like the travel router is getting the info from mixer and assigning the IP to the MacBook.  Why isn't the mixer assigning the IP?

Help me understand what is going on here.

thanks

Pauly
iMac 27" 5K" 2020
3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 64GB RAM
MacOS 10.15.7, Logic Pro X 10.6, MainStage 3.5
AKAI MPK61
AKAI Mini MkII
Roland GAIA
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha EX7
TD-11 Drums
AX8
Behringer X-Air XR18
iConnectMIDI2

Pauly 6 String
Topic Author

Re: Help request: Ethernet control of mixer/interface with MacBook/Thunderbolt dock

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:40 am

It seems like the mixer does now connect to MacBook through Dock's ethernet port.  Travel router needed to be on Access Point as it was assigning IP's and messing me up.
iMac 27" 5K" 2020
3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 64GB RAM
MacOS 10.15.7, Logic Pro X 10.6, MainStage 3.5
AKAI MPK61
AKAI Mini MkII
Roland GAIA
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha EX7
TD-11 Drums
AX8
Behringer X-Air XR18
iConnectMIDI2