New Apple keyboard on El Cap? Or how to use a Win-keyboard (SOLVED)

Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

Hi

One of my keys broke, now the (premium) Apple keyboard is not working anymore (WTF!? never had to change any of my PC crappy plastic keyboards I use daily for over 10 years)... so I went to the Apple store. 

The sales rep tells me, that for the "new" Apple keyboard I need at least 10.12. ?!?! huh !?!? 

Kinda it doesn't matter I even have to get an extra cable for extra (premium) money to connect it... ok, let's do it anyway, Bluetooth doesn't work in my studio. 

Is this true? Can't I work with that keyboard without upgrading to Sierra? What functions will I miss it? Or will the whole keyboard not work?

Cheers,

Murat

PS: Did you know that the USB-extender cable from Apple doesn't work other normal USB keyboards? Because they have a little notch in the connectors? *geeee... such things drive me nuts*  :evil:

Edited by stardustmedia

Wow, even keyboards are being made to become obsolete.  

Great idea Apple. Take away anything wired and force everyone to transmit everything. So when the crappy new wireless keyboard fails in two months and a thousand batteries later, we have to go out and upgrade our entire computer system for everything to work.  all that to produce the same thing we did years ago.

I guess there just a couple of "new totally hot everybody cannot live without anymore awesome life relief" function keys, or so. Maybe the standard keys will work. But I'm not going to spend 130 bucks for a (freaking) keyboard, to find out it doesn't work. Or I have to update to High Sierra, to find out, too many plugins are not yet compatible. 

Catch-22 

PS: I can use my crappy 10 bucks logitech plastic keyboard, no issues. Except the Win and CMD keys are switched. Would have to "re-learn" the short cuts. It would be cheaper this way, although I need to buy a new USB-extender, because Apple's cable extender has this notch :(