Your top tips for new users?

Here are some things I wish I had drilled into my head before starting. What would be your top recommendation (or top ten recommendations)? 

1. Plug everything in, then turn on LPX. 
  2. Freeze tracks if you experience problems with CPU usage (overload). Also: Turn everything else off (other programs, including wifi), plug your laptop in (running on batteries requires CPU power), and keep it cool (when it starts to get hot, you get problems). 
  3. If plugins don’t work, turn everything off (restart) and then see if that fixes it. 
  4. Alchemy is great. 
  5. Use David Nahmani’s book to get started. 
  6. The Apple manual is actually very useful. Have it on hand. 
  7. Learn the common key commands such as “E” and “X.”
  8. Set up LPX so that you can retrieve recordings AFTER you played something worth keeping but forgot to hit “record” earlier ("capture recording").  
  9. Every change to “Drummer” tracks is semi-permanent unless you can recapture it by going backwards, which is hard; so convert Drummer tracks to MIDI if you want to keep them the way they are. 
  10. Memorize your digital audio interface setup so that you can unplug and then plug everything in again quickly and easily. 
  11. Get more computer power if you can and buy a QUAD core Mac with an i7 chip, not a dual core or slower chip. 
  12. If it stops being fun, stop for a while. Pick up a guitar or sit down at the piano and get into naked music. Go back to technology when you are calm and cheerful. 
  13. Lynda's introductory course and macprovideo.com courses are very helpful for systematic learning. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another:

"When in doubt, buy RAM."  

A "less powerful" machine which is gifted with a larger-than-usual amount of RAM ... ("how much RAM can this box hold, anyway?") ... is "(sometimes, 'much!') more powerful" for real-time applications like Logic Pro.

RAM, in situations like this, is like "the number of available lanes on your superhighway."  A Ferrari is no more good to you than a Yugo if both of them are "stuck in traffic."  The only thing that matters here is if the work is completed "on time," and "RAM availability" is the single biggest factor in giving the available hardware viable alternatives for achieving this goal consistently.  If your system regularly experiences "system overloads," and your project setup is not outrageous, then the culprit (or at least, the cure ...) is probably RAM.

Edited by MikeRobinson