Seeking guitar sound creation advice please

Hey all

I've had a break from my synths and making music for the sumnmer months (not that we actually had a summer here in the UK!!) and now that I have built my own custom music/synth/mac desk, and it's all set up again, I am starting to make time for some moooosic making!

So, what I am after is this.  I have an electric guitar that I dabble on, and I'd love to create a particular sound with the right effect for a section within a pseudo-prog piece I have started.  I guess for the seasoned guitar experts in here this might sound trivial, but I have no clue!  I am most certainly NOT a guitar player, never will be, as my fingers are way too fat!! but I can play the guitar to a level required of me to play the series of notes I want to create and record for this track.  What I would like to create is a mellow, long, sustained type of sound that I can add heaps of reverb on to, and strum/pluck the required string to get the effect I want.  It's sort of a series of long sustained notes on a single string, rising up a scale with pitch bends done by stretching the relevant string. The only sound I can recollect that sounds like the one I want to create is the gorgeous sound played by Steve Hackett on Genesis's Seconds Out album on the live track Carpet Crawlers. Like a gorgeous pad, but on a guitar!

What I can't seem to be able to create with any LogicX effect, is this very long, sustained note.

I wonder can anyone drop me some advice as to how I go about producing this type of sound please.  I'm not after any strad or les paul similar sound as I know with my guitar I'd not be able to reproduce that specific sound, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, sort of! Not quite endless, but one that continues at least without decaying too soon. The example I gave fits exactly i.e. Genesis' Carpet Crawlers live version on the album Seconds Out.  You can hear it clearly in this YT version, all through... but if you need specifics; 

00:53

1:20

1:52

3:40

etc etc

Ah drat, sorry about that folks... I am sure a version of it will be available in USA. It's the live version of Carpet Crawlers, around 1977, the one off the album, Seconds Out, was recorded in Paris I think! 

I'm not sure he's doing volume swells, well at least not with his feet, as he is walking around on times during the track too!

Eric: so what would the total plugin path be for that channel, please?

Going through a similar process myself at the moment, for a production I’m working on.

I’m not fortunate enough to have a guitar, but I’d do have a 5 string bass tuned E-C, then there are virtual guitars which will just have to the job for now. I am noticing though that it helps to have a “sound” to shoot for. Stabbing around blindly in th dark as a bit of a noob seems to be bit counter productive, but once you figure out what kind of tone you want you have something you can suddenly Google and do some research on.