Digital audio interface recommendations, please

I bought a Scarlett Focusrite 2i4 a little more than a year ago. It already broke even though it didn't get much use for five months when I was dealing with medical issues. So I'd like a recommendation for something in that approximate price range (c. $150-280). I mean, recommendations for products NOT made by Focusrite . . . 

I should add that the sound quality was better than my previous interface, a Roland, which also broke after a year. 

I'd like something sturdy, obviously. 

I should probably be more careful when moving equipment, too. 

Possibilities so far: Tascam 2x2 or 4x4. Behringer UMC404HD. Steinberg UR22 MKII or 44. (The German digital licensing scheme sounds like a nightmare though.) 

Edited by abookstorecowboy

I was looking at the Steinberg but it seems to have a lot of low ratings on Amazon and also e-licensing issues. But it's a definite possibility. I like Yamaha in general. 

e-licensing issues for an interface? huh, that's a new one.

Girlfriend has UR12, and friend has UR22. Preamps seem almost as good as my RME Fireface, and stability is there as well. Great interfaces in my opinion. I think Scarlett is s#!+ personally, and audio quality compared to UR series is s#!+ as well.

Focusrite is decent at high end preamps and stuff like that.

Thanks. It was just something I read on Amazon reviews. Maybe it has to do with licensing Cubase, which I have no interest in. You didn't have to e-license anything? 

I'm wary of German products since the Germanic interface and entire setup of NI Kontakt strikes me as hideous (though the products often sound good), and I've had issues with every other app I've bought from a German company. 

Apollo 
I So I'd like a recommendation for something in that approximate price range (c. $150-280). I mean, recommendations for products NOT made by Focusrite . . . 

Think about this long and hard taffy.

Thanks. It was just something I read on Amazon reviews. Maybe it has to do with licensing Cubase, which I have no interest in. You didn't have to e-license anything? 

I'm wary of German products since the Germanic interface and entire setup of NI Kontakt strikes me as hideous (though the products often sound good), and I've had issues with every other app I've bought from a German company. 

Must be for Cubase. I have cubase and I hate it, but UR is great. 

MOTU isn't a bad choice, but i'd get UR 22 just because its class compliant which means its probably going to outlast its drivers and official support