Compressed Punchy Gated Bass?

Hello guys,

I am new in this forum but I've been reading the posts here for a while, and it's been helping me a lot lately! Thank you!

Well, my situation is that I've been struggling to make a very compressed defined and deep bass to interact with the drums the same way as in the music below (starts at 0:21):

The point is, I tried Side Chain Compression, but it just made it sound messy, by the other hand I tried Side Chain Noise Gate and it helped a lot, but it still not SHARP, DEFINED, COMPRESSED and DEEP at the same time as the song in the example, and some times when the bass notes are sustaining it can get messy and distorted.

I think my bass is sounding too bassy but not defined, even though I am cutting some frequencies to get away with the boxy/muddy frequencies.

I am just starting the mix of this song, but here it goes just a short part of what I am doing so far:

DRUM AND BASS MIX TEST

Could you guys help me to achieve something similar to the example?

Thank you very much!

I would use neither side chain technique. Instead, simply use compression so that the sustain tail (the actual bass part) is loud, consistent and sustained, and the attack is not that loud. So a fast attack time, and lower the threshold until you see the needle active for the whole length of the note, and adjust the ratio to taste. Don't be afraid of extreme settings at first. You can always dial it back if you go too far. 

Thank you, I will try that. I was struggling so much to find a good tone that I think I may be using too much stuff in the bass strip. In the main bass channel I am using a virtual amp from logic (deep bass preset) than a ssl channel and after that a ssl compressor. There is a double of this track with an eq cutting the low frequencies and with some tape saturation with a very low volume and both routed to a bass sub mix track with some eq, compression, multiband compressor. And this sub mix is sending to a bus with maxxbass with the laptop pc preset. Maybe too much for nothing? :) Hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

I tried to make the bass middles clearer by using the duplicated bass track with more of the original tone (not totally original cause I've put a virtual bass amp and compression, but preserving the clarity and emphasizing the mids) and it worked well so far! After that I created a parallel bus track with some distortion, so I routed the bass, the sub bass and the drums to that bus. I also I will record again the bass lines so I can do it considering the final results.

Now I am trying to get this kind of snappy snare sound, it sounds like it has a hi hat distorted together with the snare hit, even though you can hear the sound of the snare very clear and short/snappy/dry.

Do you (guys) have any idea how to get this kind of snares?

I am cutting some frequencies from my OH track and Snare/Hi-Hat track too (in order to kill the snare resonance), and I have a Snare track with one logic virtual drum, but I can't find any snare similar to that example. I also should mention that I am using a Kick track with a sine wave.

(I recorded the drums with only 2 condenser mics - NT3 on the snare and V67GS for the OH).

My Drum/Bass mix updated (A short part - starting with the end of the intro [less tight bass and go to the verse with the kind of bass I was talking about):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt36p65s5y7hqwl/BASS_FORUM_02.mp3?dl=0