External Hard drive & Interface Questions w/ a 2016 15" MacBook Pro

I just got a 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I'm coming from a 2013 MacBook Pro. Right now I have my Apogee Duet FireWire daisy chained to my OWC Mercury Elite external HD which runs into my 2013 15" MacBook Pro via a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter. Now this 2016 15" MacBook Pro is USB-C. So that leads me to this question, what is the optimal way to connect my current peripherals to my new 2016 MacBook pro?

I plan on purchasing a new apogee duet in a couple months along with a new external SSD HD. I'm curious on how I should hook it up once I make those purchases as well

Thanks in advance for the help!

Also, consider this:

"even if the box that now contains 'the hard-drive of interest' is not (now ...) the correct type of box to interface with 'your computer system of the moment'" ...

... boxes are still cheap. :)

Just pick the (now ...) right one up at the computer/office supply store. Then, in the space of approximately ten minutes' further meditations with a Phillips screwdriver, your problems will be solved. The underlying hardware will now be properly nestled into the necessary cocoon to enable your hardware to talk to it.

• 2 weeks later...