Setting up external rack effects unit with Logic???

Hi,

I have a Lexicon MX200 rack effects unit that I wanted to try and use in conjunction with Logic just for curiosity's sake. Can anyone help me with the setup possibly? I believe I use the I/O plugin in Logic, but, I don't know how to hook up the cables to my audio interface going into Logic. My audio interface is an Apogee Element 24 and has 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

Thanks.

1431352849_ScreenShot2017-11-22at10_29_06PM.png.e0292cf3127b25e8fce19253265208dc.png

345417412_ScreenShot2017-11-22at10_22_57PM.png.57cdb662061985f245b7bdb5effcba41.png

Try create an aggregate device with your built in audio and your apogee and use that as output device in Logic. Use your headphones-jack on your mac for stereo out in LPX, and the apogee outputs for the I/O plugin.

Thanks! Will try that out.

I remember I was able to make it work on a Scarlett 2i2 a couple of years ago and the 2i2 only has 2 inputs and 2 outputs like the Apogee Element. I just can't remember what I did. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
You need at least 4 outputs on your interface to use external hardware comfortably.

This has not been my experience, but I have an open mind, so I would love to hear your explanation why.

I have a rack with 3 outboard sound modules. I record a single track at a time and do not layer during recording, so a patch panel serves my purposes. I have to use a switch box for the MIDI, but it works. I print the external sounds to individual audio tracks, so they are never live during playback/mix/master.

But you may do things very differently, so I would be interested to hear your reasoning.

I'll try again. If you need to monitor before and after, wouldn't just putting the compressor in bypass be the same as 'before'?

Of course you can do that.

But if you're using the only outputs on your interface to send to a compressor and then you want to listen to the result of what's coming back on your speakers, you can't do it.

I guess not. Your answer earlier seemed to indicate 'you need', which is a bit of a sweeping statement. 'But if', here, is a qualification to that.

There are multiple ways to skin a cat, including using software compressors instead, or using a patch panel to reroute. Since many of us like to compress mildly a number of times in stages, that is typically done in software, bc the expense to do that in hardware might be prohibitive.

'You need' seems to not apply to every situation. But this is still good food for thought when mulling the decision how many outputs might be needed, so thanks for getting us to think about that.