Need more screen real estate

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using 2 27's and a 22. That seems to be good.

But if you are entertaining a change, go to Jon Sine's videos on YT and take a peek at his monitor, which is widescreen. Your choices also seem to be widescreen.

My best guess is this is not optimal, bc it might be wider than a typical 27"-er, but it's a lot shorter, height-wise. I keep the mixer on my 22" (tracks on a 27, piano roll on the other 27), and while 3 16:9 monitors means the only windows I have to open regularly are the event window and the audio editor, the one thing that irks me about that is that I am constantly scrolling up and down on the mixer. I'd like to add a fourth portrait monitor for the mixer, but that's probably just my wishful thinking, and would mean more left-right scrolling. I might just get another 27 and configure it so I don't have to scroll.

So I would think hard about widescreen, bc I think you will be scrolling up and down more than you had bargained for, both in the mixer and in the tracks window, and possibly even in the piano roll if you invoke other things there in the bottom half. Bottom line, I think widescreen is not a good answer.

Do what I did b4 I bought my 27: Cut up a cardboard box to simulate the exact shape of the monitor you are considering, place it b4 you on the console as if it were the monitor, and then imagine the windows fitting in the way you want them to. Imagine how much scrolling, vertical and horizontal, you might be making. This can give you a better idea of what you are looking for.

And screensets, while helpful, just are not the answer. I don't use them much bc I am constantly making the tracks or piano roll wider/less wide, taller/less tall, and screensets revert to whatever zoom you had when you created them, so they just don't seem practical for much other than basic configs. IOW, they are not great for actual editing situations.