iPad, Animoog, Logic

Hi

I'm new to this forum and Logic. I've tried to find the answer to my question here and elsewhere with no luck.

So far, I've connected the iPad (Mini 4) to Logic with a lightning cable via the Audio MIDI Setup. The connection is a bit unstable (sometimes I manage to get sound but not always). Anyway, in Logic I get sound from both Audio and External MIDI tracks but I can only record in the Audio track. In the picture you can see a recorded track (Audio 6) and Inst 9 (that's external MIDI) receiving the signal but not recording.

1490929410_ScreenShot2017-11-30at09_57_18.png.a17edef3f0c0e8cfdaa85e267e5cfc14.png

Audio is ok but MIDI is better. Any ideas about how to make this working?

I'd rather try to avoid wireless connections and hardware between the iPad and my Mac but if there is no other way around, what can you recommend? Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
You need an iPad MIDI interface. Without that, youre only going to capture audio from the lightning connector. I use an iConnectMIDI4+ interface, which provides both the audio and MIDI interface to the Mac (which I can see in the Audio MIDI Setup window) from my iPad (as well as other MIDI devices). The connections goes iPad -> lightning connector -> iCM4+ -> Mac. There are other iPad/iOS MIDI interfaces like IKMultimedia's iRig.. but you need something that converts the MIDI coming off the iPAD.