Where's this added gain coming from?

Hi everyone. I'm having a gain staging issue maybe someone can help me fix.

I've got a reference mix on a stereo channel in logic. The channel peaks at 0dB but the output channel is peaking at 4.6dB. Only the reference mix is playing and I have no plugins active on either the reference mix channel or the output channel. What could be causing the added gain?

571160037_ScreenShot2017-12-06at22_29_59.png.caa2a04d8054e7d65b36f477ad71bbf0.png

By the way, the same thing is happening on every track in the mix. The same amount of extra gain is just appearing out of nowhere at the output fader. I have plugins on the output channel but they are all bypassed so they couldn't be adding any gain, right?

Thanks

Is your Master channel set to +4.6 dB?

Well I feel stupid now!

Just goes to show you how oblivious I've been to the master fader! I literally never look at it because I don't know how or why to use it. I forgot it existed!

So, what's the actual function of the master channel? If the stereo out controls the output level, what do we use the master fader for?

Also, where does the master fader come in the chain? Now that I know the master channel affects the gain of all the individual channels going into the stereo output, I assume it goes like this -

individual channels ---> master channel ---> stereo out

Thanks Eric!!!!

So, what's the actual function of the master channel? If the stereo out controls the output level, what do we use the master fader for?

The purpose of the Master channel is to control all output objects simultaneously.

This is a great tool when mixing surround but is pretty much obsolete when mixing to stereo.

Also, where does the master fader come in the chain? Now that I know the master channel affects the gain of all the individual channels going into the stereo output, I assume it goes like this -

individual channels ---> master channel ---> stereo out

They behaves as virtual VCA fader. Think of it as a remote control of an additional gain stage inside the Output.

It controls the output externally but doesn't carry any audio signal itself at all.

Thanks Eric!!!!
'

You're most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...