A question about Ozone 8.

Are you saying I need to have the Master and the Output Sliders set at 0.0, and then adjust all my individual tracks and try to hit the master bus at levels around -12 to -16db?

You certainly don't NEED to do that. You could even be liberally in the red at the input of the Output channel strip and as long as you turn the gain down in plug-ins placed on the Output channel strip Audio FX inserts slots you wouldn't clip anything. Makzimia was just sharing his workflow, and it's rather conservative IMO. I would say just try to stay below 0 dB FS at the input of the Output channel strip, but even if you're above it's not a big deal.

How do i backup, and what do i backup from my MBP?

I'm afraid the question can be much more complex than it looks at first! You need to backup anything that is of value to you. You could clone the entire drive, use Time Machine, or backup only what you need... if you'd like to discuss this further, perhaps start a new thread on that topic? I feel like this deserves an entire topic on its own.

While my approach may seem very conservative, I was actually figuring in something against the steps Jerry mentioned :). I also know some people like to load up compressors etc on the master bus and work backwards. Hence my suggestion :). If you're mixing first, like a live session, then adding EQ, COMPs and whatever else, sends to AUX etc, starting conservative gives you a good head start. As David will agree, square waving in digital audio is not a good thing :). I am aware that Logic possibly has an overhead that red is allowing for, best practice is still IMO don't go red if you don't have to.

My opinion, like all others, is mine ;). As I said, hope it helps somewhat.

Cheers,

Tony

While my approach may seem very conservative, I was actually figuring in something against the steps Jerry mentioned :). I also know some people like to load up compressors etc on the master bus and work backwards. Hence my suggestion :). If you're mixing first, like a live session, then adding EQ, COMPs and whatever else, sends to AUX etc, starting conservative gives you a good head start. As David will agree, square waving in digital audio is not a good thing :). I am aware that Logic possibly has an overhead that red is allowing for, best practice is still IMO don't go red if you don't have to.

Yes yes yes, I agree. Just didn't like the use of the word "NEED". I don't like to see people who've already started mixing and have dynamic processors on their output channel strip go back to the drawing board and lower their levels on individual channel strips, therefore changing the way the dynamic processor work (and therefore changing the sound of their mix) for fear of overloading, basically trying to fix an issue that wasn't there to begin with.

But I agree that it's good practice to avoid going over 0 dB FS throughout the chain while mixing. Only thing is, understand that if you do, that does NOT clip your audio signal.